PDA

View Full Version : A Light in the hood

mapleman3
03-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Who out there has a light built in your hood, I would love to put one in the front syrup hood...

Any ideas??

802maple
03-26-2009, 07:34 AM
The setup I have seen the most is the one that has a safety globe over it made out of lexan or glass.

mapleman3
03-26-2009, 07:35 AM
has to be totally waterproof !! I think it would be much easier to see the pan even through the steam?

KenWP
03-26-2009, 08:07 AM
If you could wire in a swimming pool light or such it would be water proof. The lights with the glass covers still have the actuall fixture that is not really water proof. In the hog barns I had to replace lots of the fixtures that over time absorbed water and burnt out.

802maple
03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
The ones that I use are totally waterproof as the fixture goes on the outside of the pan. all of the joints are sealed with bolts and gaskets.

Also some use the work lights that use a halogen bulb that you can pick up at walmart. Just cut a hole slightly smaller then the glass and mount it on the outside. These work well also. Lapierre uses them in their hoods

Jerome
03-26-2009, 10:56 AM
I had a 250 haligen work light that I have mounted to my hood there is a gasket between the glass and the light I have not used it yet but will this weekend and will let yo know how it works out. I'll go take a photo and post it.

Jerome
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Here are some photos-
from inside. http://www.smugmug.com/photos/499334344_erkDU-M.jpg
from outside. http://www.smugmug.com/photos/499334808_PzTAh-M.jpg
how it looks through the window that I also installed (tempered glass) http://www.smugmug.com/photos/499335213_CwT9L-M.jpg
From the end with the hood raised most of the light seems to be reflected back.http://www.smugmug.com/photos/499336376_894Nd-M.jpg
how my float valve looks like under the pre-heater tray.http://www.smugmug.com/photos/499335996_8wR5x-M.jpg
Not sure how it will look with it going though.

mapleman3
03-26-2009, 01:28 PM
looks great, I wonder how will it cut through the steam for visablility?

802maple
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
That is exactly how Lapierre does it and yes it will cut thru the steam very nicely if it does anything like theirs does and I can't see why it would be different.

markct
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
what i did was take a 12 volt led backup light for a truck and made a bracket to mount it in the hood and then just used a small 12 v transformer to power it, only about 35 bucks for the light, there bright, almost never burn out, waterproof and no risk of shock with the low voltage

Clan Delaney
03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Just a thought - how about using a vehicle fog light? They're designed to cut through water vapor (though probably not nearly as much as we can make!)

Squaredeal
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
We just put a 150w halogen in my front hood. We bought a waterproof fixture from Lowes for about $100. I used a knockout kit to put a 1/2" hole into the hood and actually mounted the light in the hood. We've used it for 3-4 boils with great results. It's amazing how well it works to see in the pans. The nice things about having it inside the hood rather than mounted on top is that it can be aimed.
Now to put one in the rear hood...

Jerome
03-29-2009, 04:22 AM
Some observation from boiling.
- the light in the hood work great and I could much better than with other lights in the room even with the hood up.
- The windows fogged up way to much to be of much use.

Squaredeal
03-29-2009, 08:21 AM
Here's a photo of my light installation. The red gunk is high temp silicone.

Bucket Head
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
I believe Grainger sell's a waterproof light fixture that would work. It is the same fixture that the Leader Evap. Co installs on their "Steam-Away" units so you can monitor the action.

Steve

Dave Y
03-30-2009, 06:01 AM
I put a light in my front hood this year and it has work fine for me. Here is what I did. I bought a $10 outdoor light fixture and put it inside a qt mason jar
and attached the lid to the hood with small stove bolts and put a little silicone around them so they dont leak. screwed the jar on the lid and you have a water tight light. It has a 40w appliance bulb in it. simple and cheap and it works.

mapleman3
03-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Interesting ideas you guys, I am definitely going to do a light , starting to think along the halogen lights, a small work light but still now sure if I will mount it inside or on the outside. I may do the hole in the hood the size of the lens and high temp silicone it in, or if I do find a real bargin on a good weatherproof one, maybe put it inside, Steam and heat worry me.

Squaredeal
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Mapleman, Just a thought. With 4000 taps we've probably put more steam at the Lowe's fixture in the week since I put it in than most folks would do in years. I see no sign of failure -yet. However, if it does fail, the way I have it installed makes it easy to put a new one in (at $10). With the smaller hole it would also be easy to plug if necessary.

3rdgen.maple
03-31-2009, 12:07 AM
What about under water pond lights. I have them in my Koi pond. Obviously they are water proof but not sure bout the heat factor. They are wired into a 12volt converter then to a 110v oultet. I assume this is for the shock factor and limiting electrical usage. Got mine at hd years ago and they are stilll working with no maintenance. Just one more thought for ya.