PDA

View Full Version : Buds opening on silvers in Hastings

Peepers
03-25-2009, 08:57 PM
The wife alerted me that the buds are opening on our silver maples in front. I verified, 2 of our 3 silvers have big fuzzy buds opening up. I'm afraid the end is near for 2009 syruping for us. I hate to wish ill-will on my trees but how cold does it have to get to freeze the buds off and restart the process? 17 degrees sounds familiar and I don't see that in our forecast.

KenWP
03-25-2009, 10:14 PM
What does the sap look like. With silvers you have to go by the sap as they allwasy have big red buds on them. Mine have had buds since Xmas time.

Peepers
03-25-2009, 11:29 PM
sap buckets today had a little yellowish rain water in them. Dumped them out and will see what it looks/smells like tomorrow assuming it freezes tonight and we get some.

these buds are big and fuzzy now, starting to get little flower stems coming out of em and stuff. One of our silvers still has tight buds still but two of them are definitely opened up.

SilverLeaf
03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Out here in the Marshall area, I've got lots of big buds with flowers too. The trickle of sap I got in the past day is a little off-color too.

But - the forecast for the next two nights calls for a low of 16, both nights, so I may yet be in luck for a bud "reset". Looks like the Twin Cities & Hastings areas might be a tad warmer though. Keep up the hope! -maybe the temps will bottom out well for you...

Peepers
03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
The wife and kids collected lots of sap today and although the buds are starting to flower on the silvers they report the sap to be clear and without smell. I'll be boiling it tomorrow and we'll see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers!

The box elders don't seem to be doing anything yet. Does anyone know when they bud out in respect to the other maples?

C.Wilcox
03-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Peepers,

My box elders are usually much later than my silver maples. I've had open buds and flowers on my silvers for over a week now without noticing any change in sap quality although there has been a substantial change in quantity with this warmer weather. Almost nothing going over here.

KenWP
03-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Tested sap today and my boxelders run about 1.7 and my silvers run a good 3% and the sugar maples are running 2% so I am not doing to bad. This next week of warm weather might do some trees in but on never knows. I do have one boxelder that has developed buds in the last couple of days and is slowing down with sap. Dosn't help that its pouring sap out of a place on the truck where the woodpeckers have really dup a big hunk out of it.
My silvers are really pouring out the sap the last couple of days. There is only six of them but they are big trees.