PDA

View Full Version : Giant Maple Syrup Corp??

Tomahawk
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
It dawned on that the worldwide maple syrup business is still somewhat of a cottage industry.

It seems like what has happened to nearly every single industry, that there is no giant corporation that produces maple syrup.

Is that correct?

Amber Gold
03-25-2009, 08:43 PM
The producers may not be turning into one big company, but the equipment manufacturers are trying.

Russell Lampron
03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
Donald Lapierre in Quebec has a factory of sorts for a sugar house where he processes the sap from over 200,000 taps. His is the largest in the world.

ennismaple
03-26-2009, 12:27 PM
The Quebec Federation is essentially a giant syrup producing company. FYI - Quebec makes 80% of the total world production. Many individual producers sell their syrup to the federation who then pasturizes and stores it in warehouses until they get an order that needs to be filled.

HHM-07
03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
There May Not Be Anycoopertations As Such But There Are A Lot Of Folks That Doit Year Around As Thier Only Income

arcticcatmatt
03-28-2009, 11:02 PM
How could they do it year round when sap only flows for a limited time?

Newbie here

PerryW
03-28-2009, 11:18 PM
How could they do it year round when sap only flows for a limited time?

For a large operation with only one or two people, they spend January & February getting the lines, tanks & vacuums ready and finally tapping in March. Sugaring in March & April and the clean-up is all finished in the beginning of May. Work on sugar wood for the rest of may and June.

The rest of the summer is spent canning syrup, tinkering with equipment, making candy, repairing broken stuff and more syrup canning.

In the fall you walk your lines, clear blow-downs, repair tubing and once again; more syrup canning.

Celebrate the holidays and back at it again.

tapperdan1
03-29-2009, 08:21 AM
i dont think i can get to 200,000 taps but i think i can get to 80,000 or 90,000 it would take a like doing thou i would be happy with 30,000 and that is what im shooting for. im going to make it big

Justin Turco
04-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Speaking of the Federation. What I would like to know..what percentage of the syrup that is consumed in the US is not made here. What percentage of ALL that is consumed in the US are we capable of producing for ourselves? Could we produce 100%?? Because you know what.. it is hard to move everything we make unless we make a trip to bascoms etc. You can buy the stuff in Walmart after all. Never thought that I too, would have to compete with Walmart.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2009, 06:04 PM
ArticCatMatt: The People that I get most of my supplies from (by choice) and sell my finished syrup to (by choice) does syrup related things all year long. They tap 8,000 trees and cook it down and they also sell equipment. They would pack in 55 gallon drums and bottle to their customers both retail and wholsale. They sold the bottling rights to another co. but they still bottle for themselves and sell bulk to other producers and the co that took over the bottling. they buy raw sap and finished syrup so I think thats how most syrup/equipment companys do it.
I think alot of big wholesalers are like the old Swiss Watch Companys used to be and that was alot of craftsmen building one part to perfection and then one company assemling it into a finished product of the highest quality and standards. If Canada could they would try and trade mark PURE MAPLE SYRUP if they could but because its such a generic term they cant. Like they did in France with Champagne. See we dont make Champagne in the USA we make SPARKLING WINE. All because its made in the Champagne region of France. Look at Vermont they protect their name and cant buy syrup from ny and resell it under the Vermont name.

Mark
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
It sounds like you are describing Roths, what are they paying for syrup?

markcasper
04-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Yes its Roths, and the other company that bought the bottling rights was Anderson. Anderson bottles with Roths label attached and now Roths can't use that name so they bottle under the name "Sugar Johns."

Mark
04-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Andersons was at 2.70 2.65 2.60 comm 2.25
Do you know what Roths is at? I have 4000 gallons that I might want to move.