PDA

View Full Version : Pine Slab

MapleME
03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Have folks had good luck getting free pine slab from Mills? I would think this could be a source of viable wood, possibly for free. If so, how do you about broaching the subject with the mills?

MapleME

BarrelBoiler
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
most if not all stationary mills can debark their logs and chip the slabs for paper chips which is money in their pocket. I'd keep an eye out or check with the portable mill guys around that do custom sawing they might be glad to see the slabs disappear unless they are already claimed by the log owner

Amber Gold
03-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Go with BarrelBoiler...that's how I get my slab pine. The mills I know chip it and send it to the biomass plant.

TapME
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
The mill here in town will sell you slabs and deliver them to you but it will cost you. Here they get 25 dollars a bundle and then a charge to bring them to you. The potable mill is the best place to get free slabs, or go and get some of that ice damage trees that fell.

wdchuck
03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Just to toss in my 2 cents worth- We have a portable mill, so sugarwood is dirt cheap. If we didnt burn it in the evaporator, we'd be buried in the stuff. Mostly it's cedar, pine, spruce, fir, and a little hardwood. We cut very little wood specifically for sugarwood other than limbwood. True, it's not the greatest wood in the world, but we're kinda short on oak up in these parts. My theory- "If it's dry, burn it" ...........Most landowners are glad to get rid of a pile of softwood slabs, considering it to not be good firewood. Their loss................

buxtonboiler
03-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I have found that mills around here will sell the slabs. last summer I got some pine slabs for 40/ cord at woodsums mill in limerick.

ebourassa
03-29-2009, 07:42 AM
i went to a small mill here and i trade him syrup for the slab, i love to barter, i usually give him a quart per triaxle load, i load my self though and he is glad to see it gone.
my two cents
never hurts to ask the worst thing they can say is no.