PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for sap Northern NH, VT and QE

PerryW
03-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Looks like the conditions are finally ideal for a good run today. Temps predicted to be in the high 40's with little wind, and the trees are ready to run.

I hate to jinx it, but I think later today and tomorrow we will be swimming in sap. Let's just hope for no abnormally high or low temps over the next couple of weeks and we might just end up with a good season.

For those of you who have forgotten what it looks like:

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=MapleSapDripBucket.flv

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/?action=view&current=SugarhouseSteam.flv

KenWP
03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
I would have to agree that today feels like the 17th only I have more trees awake then I did that day. I wish I could take a picture of my one tree dripping as if I timed it right I could get more then one drop in the picture at once it goes that good when it drips.
This maple syrup project sure wasn't like I figured it would be and I can now say that the price of the syrup in the store is worth every penny after seeing just how much work goes into makeing it.

Mac
03-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Perryw
You prediction held true here in the lakes region..!!!! If it runs again like

it did today... I'll be in trouble...the good kinda trouble!.

KenWP
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Well I got more sap then I was getting. Hauled in 18 gallons of sap today which is more then 3 times the usual amount so far. I hope tomorrow gets as warm and I should be able to do the same. Boiling friday what ever happens tomorrow.
A lot of my trees are frozen still. Pulled a tap out of one and the hole was full of ice and that was late afternoon.

PerryW
03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Got a half-decent run today; picked up 300 gallons of sap at 5 PM and it was still running pretty good. Made 8 more gallons for a total of 49 gallons so far. Hoping for 100 gallons this season.

Looks like a freeze tonight and a little warmer tomorrow so a better run tomorrow.

My Trees are in Littleton NH near the Vermont Border and about 65 miles south of Newport VT

PerryW
03-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Well ended up making about 30 gallons of syrup in the last 4 days bringing my season total to 70 gallons.

Still hoping for a 2-3 weeks more maple season.

KenWP
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Well so far we did get sap for two days that was good. So far things look pretty dad for getting any kind of a run now. They forecast frost but it just never gets cold enough. Was supposed to freeze tonight but so far holding at 38 degrees.
As we allways say in farming. Next Year.