PDA

View Full Version : Shingles

MahoskyBrosMapleFarm
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I noticed most people put up there rafters then throw there tin on right over that... But would laying down osb then shingles work to?

maplekid
03-24-2009, 05:49 PM
should work just put down osb then tar paper it and shingle it and put some drip edge on

Dennis H.
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Seems to work for me.

The only good thing about the tin roof is there is less of a worry about hot embers landing on the roof and possibly catching fire.
When I had my rig fired up I would keep an eye on it every so often, I didn't have a single problem and I had it ripping a few times.

PerryW
03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
If you use metal roofing, make sure and board the roof up tight (don't just use strapping). Otherwise, you will get drips falling on your head from the condensation on the metal.

3rdgen.maple
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I think I would worry obout OSB falling apart from moisture damage. If you run a steam hood and stack go for it. If just a coupla It might last for 10 years then need replacing. I had a peice of OSB on one of the walls and had to replace it cause it eventually kept swelling and pulling away from the wall where the nails would just pull through it and the steam was warping it. Everytime I put a new nail in it it would crumble in that spot. But maybe a good coat of exterior paint on the inside before you nail it down will cure that problem. Just my 2 cents but I don't like doing things twice unless it was alot of fun the first time.