PDA

View Full Version : Block built arch

Pete S
03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Sorry but I copied this (mine) from a differnt heading as it kind'a didn't fit there;

I have been dreaming about building a NEW evaporator for the up and coming maple season,...........but only after i build a shack!

BUT,........through this board have met my neighbors,(very nice folks BTW).......about a mile away, that put together a brick/block dry stack arch.

My thoughts are NOW,.............IF I can swing a slab in my shack to be built,........I have some concrete block.........why not build a block arch, with a 2x4 pan, and space for a pre-heat?

Anyone have any designs, ideas, "this is what I did's", and other considerations.

The other idea was to do the 275 gallon tank conversion.

Thanks!

Pete

NedL
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
This is my second year with blocks and steam trays. This year went up to 3 blocks high and 4 pans across.

I use and old fireplace grate boosted up on a couple of bricks. The extra hieight has helped the draft enormously. For the front I use 3 blocks; one on the bottom with the holes facing out and then 2 standing up on top of that one. This with a single line of bricks completely closes off the front for me. I face the holes on the botom block out because it allows me to control the draft by using rocks to close off or open the holes. Next year I hope to add a blower to it.

My stove pipe is single blocks up to 6 feet and then home depot duct.

Hope this helps.

Pete S
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply.

How did you protect the inside, regarding firebrick, and the like?

Pete

NedL
03-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I was trying to go inexpensive as possible, so I didn't line it. I also figured I'd be knocking the bricks down as I threw wood in. I did throw a bunch of broken bricks(from an old fireplace) to ramp up the back part of the arch and push the heat up. This has worked GREAT!

I only lost 3(out of 22) blocks from the heat last year, so not too bad. By dropping the pans all the way into the arch I'm getting anywhere from 11-14 gallons of evaporation per hour and that's without firing it all the time. With my first boil this year i was actually able to get some very light syrup for the first time.

glassman
03-26-2009, 04:39 PM
pete,

it sounds like you are looking to make a permenent arch. if so you proobably should line with fire brick and insulation.

i built a 3 by 4 field stone arch lined with firebrick, 18 inch fire box with the back about three inches from the pan. the arch works great the fire brick has protected the stone and morter for three or four years.

BUT the first half to three quarters of a day boiling i am heating the stones and morter. after that i can get some good evaporation.

sorry for the ramble. hope this helps.

wally

Pete S
03-26-2009, 05:01 PM
Fieldstone! There ya go,...........we have mountains of those! Most aren't pretty as they're mostly limestone, but we do have plently of old green/grey ones!

Thanks for the idea,.............now I just need to figure out how to sleep at night instead of designing!

Pete

WI Sugarpop
03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Pete,
You have a whole year to build that arch so don't lose too much sleep. Besides, I would like to build a permanent arch too so maybe we can design and build them together. Order some concrete tomorrow. LOL
Ron

Peepers
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm using dry stacked blocks this year again as well and am thinking of something more permanent down the road.
The block takes longer to heat up, isn't portable and can't be modified (without a jackhammer). All the extra mass in stone/block holds the heat longer which is nice for long boils and for those of us who don't weld the block/stone could be easier to work with. Are there any other pro's or con's to take into account?