PDA

View Full Version : NY Maple Conference in Verona

Dropflue
12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Has anybody received by mail the registration form & workshop topics for this years conference. I usually see it in the mail by now. If someone can e-mail the topics or a copy of the pre-registration form, It would be great!
Or the e-mail to the high school FFA staff ( Keith S. I believe ?)

Thanks,
Rick (Dropflue)

syrupmaker
12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
NYS Maple Producers Winter Conference

January 7th and 8th, 2005, the day-and-a-half event has something for every level of maple producer.
The conference kicks off Friday evening with featured speaker Jim Trezise, Executive Director of the New York Wine and Grape Foundation.
The conference is open to the general public, as well as any maple producer, and is geared toward all levels of sugar makers. Friday evening’s program is $5.00 per person advanced, $10.00 at-the-door and will include light snacks. Saturday’s conference registration is $20.00 per person advanced and $30.00 at-the-door and includes morning refreshments and buffet luncheon. Saturday’s trade show opens at 8:00 AM with workshops starting at 9:00AM. Advanced reservations may be made by mailing name(s) of conference participants, along with registration fees, and must be received by December 15th; no refunds will be given. Checks may be made payable to: V.V.S. FFA and sent to V.V.S. FFA, State Route 31, Verona, NY 13478.
Held at the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill (V.V.S.) High School, Verona, New York, the conference is sponsored by the V.V.S. FFA in conjunction with the New York State Maple Producers Association.
contact V.V.S. FFA advisor Keith Schiebel at (315) 829-2520 ext. 262, email at { HYPERLINK mailto:kschiebel@vvs-csd-high.moric.org }kschiebel@vvs-csd-high.moric.org, or visit the school’s website at: { HYPERLINK http://www.vvscentralschool.org }www.vvscentralschools.org.

Haven't seen the topics issue yet either.

Rick

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-13-2004, 06:44 PM
Topics were listed on a paper included with pre-reg. form in the envelope.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Well, my Bday is the first week of Feb and I had mentioned to my wife about some of you guys had been poking at me to come up jokingly. She took it upon herself to make arrangements as a suprise for me to come and she logged onto the trader and worked out the details with mapleman. She got me a round trip ticket up Fri night and back on Sunday night thru Philly and into Hartfort.

Can't wait to see each of you guys that will be there and hope plenty of you will come. Mapleman is going to pick me up at the airport and I will be spending a couple of days with him and his family and I can't wait. She sprang this on me about 11 pm last night and I was shocked to say the least. What a wife and what a great friend I have in mapleman! :D :D :D

Hope plenty of you will be there to see my ugly mug! :D :D :D 8O 8O 8O 8O :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink:

mapleman3
12-26-2004, 09:02 AM
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :wink: Can't wait to see ya Buddy!!!!

themapleking
12-26-2004, 09:46 AM
That's a cool wife you got there Brandon. You might want to keep her. :wink:
Did Jim tell you that she wants a round trip ticket to Honolulu, Hawaii for her brithday :o

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-26-2004, 07:58 PM
Joe,

Mapleman sure didn't mention that. Sure would be bad since her bday is in Jan.

So who's coming to the conference??????????

mapleman3
12-26-2004, 08:16 PM
:arrow: :lol: :wink:

syrupmaker
12-28-2004, 08:25 AM
From what i have heard, those from the Western New York area are Mapleking, Dropflue, Sugaring42long,Rooster (Dad) and myself.

Rick

Al
12-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Sounds like you'll all have a great time. Remember no big whopper stories from hunting camp. :lol: Enjoy.
Take care.

syrupmaker
12-28-2004, 08:39 AM
AL........ :roll: ?????????????? If you can make a trip and survive hunting camp with us, surely you can handle a road trip to the Utica area for some fun, frolic and education!
:wink:

Rick

Al
12-28-2004, 09:25 AM
Schedule is packed. Jan 25-27 is the big Vermont farm show in Barre and the Maple Conferance is the 29th here. With a possible trip to Cabot in Febuary for the boiling seminar. Plus have to pay for my rear float and come up with a few extra buckets before the season.
Take care.

syrupmaker
12-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Al....Since ya didn't mention anything about the 1st part of January i guess that means we will see ya there. :wink:

mapleman3
12-29-2004, 09:22 AM
We'll see ya there Al !! oh and bring a friend you should have more room in the truck with no heater to tote along :wink:
I think you and Mike should make the trip!! load the back of the truck with buckets from mike for me :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

mapleman3
12-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Keith(Brookledge) Do you want to go to the conf? your just up the road from me you could ride with Brandon WV and I. or for that fact anyone else in the Ma. area or CT guys that want to meet up at the Pike.?
I'll take my wifes Honda Van if needed.

brookledge
12-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Jim
thanks for the offer but not a good time for me with my schedule I am planning on being at ma. maple on the 15th though.
Keith

Al
12-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Sorry Jim already have my dates set for the month. Getting special liberty this time of year is hard. You know driveway etc. My Mom just got out of the hospital. They had to take out her right kidney that had a tumor attached to it. Waiting for results on the tumor next week. We're all saying our prayers and holding our breathe that it not cancer.
You all have a good time and come on up to Pumpkin Village Maple sometime. The doors always open. For the right price! :D :wink:

mapleman3
01-05-2005, 11:10 AM
OK So I'll have myGray Maple Trader Sweatshirt and green Mass Maple hat on,
How will we recognize you others with that many sugarers at the conf.?

syrupmaker
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
I'll have on my infamous welders skull cap on, either fish or flowers.

Or if you see a guy that looks like he ran into the *** end of a cat and the fur stuck to his face,thats my dad. :lol:

Or if you see a guy that is still kinda hunched over and limping that would be Mapleking (Joe) He still hasn't recovered from the ya'll come in September yet. :P

mapleman3
01-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Your poor Dad, having to put up with you 8O :wink:

it will be easy to find Rick, he'll be the one drooling over all the stainless!!!

RUSTYBUCKET
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
My neighbor and I are planning on making the trip. Hopefully we'll rub elbows with some of you guys.

Russ

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-05-2005, 05:37 PM
I am going to look over the schedule and we can all meat at a certain location at a certain time. Say, how about at Chris' (mapleguys) booth and I will check the schedule to try to find a time that is good for everybody. :D

With our admission, does that include lunch??????? :?:

Al
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Get there 15 or 20 minutes early and meet at the Maple Traders both. Then you all can pick out classe's, know each other in the hallways all day and sit at the same table for lunch if you want. Thats the way we worked it here in Vt and we had a great time. :D
Have a great time and win some door prizes!!!!

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Wow, I wish I could go this year? Mabe next year I will show up to meet you all.
Sounds like a whole lotta fun. :lol:

Chuck

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Al,

Good idea about meeting earlier! :D

Jim,

What time are we planning on arriving and what time is everyone else planning on arriving?????????

mapleman3
01-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Brandon.. as early as you are willing to get up.. we can leave, I don't mind if we leave a 3 in the morn... so we can plan on being there first thing... you guys say what time you want to meet at chris's booth and we will be there!!!!!

syrupmaker
01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Chuck....it's a quick 3 1/2 hr ride from you place, come on up. We plan on leaving around 4, so that should put us there 7 -7:30

Jim you know my truck,find us and we can all wait for the doors to open.

Dropflue..did you head to the mountains sledding or were you washed out?

Rick

mapleman3
01-06-2005, 05:55 AM
I should be in the lot around 7-730 also that means getting on the road around 3-330 8O yawn,

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-06-2005, 06:19 AM
I got there last year around 7:20-7:30 and the doors were unlocked for the dealers setting up- I went in and Got my registeration packet and asked where a good spot was to get some breakfast? 3 miles from the school is a little boot scoot(Night club)/Restaurant/Truck stop. At the lights in town i believe its a left on the curve can't miss it on the left.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2005, 06:20 AM
I'll check the schedule and post a time later today we can meet at. Might post 2 times that we can meet if some don't plan on coming until later! :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-06-2005, 06:32 AM
It opens at 8:00, so we could try to meet at Chris'(mapleguys) booth then and at 10:50 am if that is ok with everyone?? Hope to meet a bunch of guys there and anyone that frequents this sight, meet us there. The more the merrier.

And remember, if at all possible, support Chris aka mapleguys with your business on Saturday or for future orders. We want this sight to stay up, but unless we support him better in the future, it may not be here! :(

mapleman3
01-06-2005, 06:39 AM
he will get first dibs on my orders!! providing he has stuff on hand :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-06-2005, 07:05 AM
meeple mann tree maka sura u bringa lotsa green backa's 2 sho(Like a wad nuf ta choke a chicken)!!!Youa mighta finda somethina youa donta needa... you darn nut!!!

syrupmaker
01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Yep nice little diner right were you said it was. Good grub,beats a heart attack sack from BK or Mc'D's anyday of the week.

Rick

mapleman3
01-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Biiig wada cashola fer sher...

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Hey Rick,
Thanks for the offer, but It is bad timming for me this year.

Next year I may do it if I plan ahead.

My wife said to me to go, but unfortently, I have to many things that I have to get done before the season gets started.

You guys all have a good time. :P

Chuck

RUSTYBUCKET
01-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Weather is going to make the trip questionable now. Expecting an ice/sleet/snow storm overnight. We'll see what the morning looks like.

Russ

syrupmaker
01-08-2005, 12:17 AM
Spoke to Jim and Brandon and the southern boy had made it to Conn. As Jim put it(He has the package)
Weather might play a factor but we will make the trip either way. See whoever is going at the confrence.

Rick

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-09-2005, 07:55 AM
There was some winners and losers yesterday at the conference- Brandon won the Boiling temp. Barometer and Mapleman3 won the t-shirt,hat and sap filter and the looser was me bigtime i went just to see the talk on ginseng and the speaker was a No-Show :evil: Also i got sicker then a dog in Albany/Troy on the way back home and up came the afternoons lunch in wal-marts parking lot.Combine that with a killer headache and i didnot get home until 12:05 this morning-2Hrs. longer then it should have taken. Quite a few maple trader members out there even met some new one not signed up yet.

mapleman3
01-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Kevin Sorry to here that, the grub was great, sorry you had to taste it twice!! glad I wasn't driving along side you on the way back as we did on the way up!! :wink: all in all I had a great time met some great folks, learned some great info on Vac and sap ladders. and yes won a tee shirt and hat from a vendor.

weather and driving was awefull for us too, but still made good time, Brandon and I got up and scoped out some mailnline wire for my sap ladder. we also both bought sap filters and made up the round fitting disk out of phenolic plastic and a 3/4 fitting for about 3$ each, which retails for $30 ish in the catalogs! wanna buy some guys???? $20 bucks each + shipping :wink: :wink: :wink:

saphead
01-09-2005, 09:47 AM
ok Jim, now that you mentioned"great info" on sap ladders and vacuum are you going to pass it along? Any info would be appreciated,thanks

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-09-2005, 10:03 AM
How much on the shipping cost? That's probably what will :o me?

01-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I will write down the sap ladder info tonight and post it :D

mapleman3
01-09-2005, 12:48 PM
oops, forgot to sign in
probably only a couple bucks for shipping... made to whatever tubing size, 3/4, 1" 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" of course thats with out the filter.. just the plate!!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-09-2005, 01:42 PM
So for $22 i could be the owner of your prototype disc?

mapleman3
01-09-2005, 03:33 PM
if you want. it's really no big deal just a 7" disc of white phenolic plastic with a fitting in the middle.. real easy to make, I actually don't remember how much a sheet of phenolic costs, but 22 including shipping will cover it.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Did you caculate in all the "Goodies" that i have dispersed for free? Now what is the cost?

mapleman3
01-09-2005, 04:02 PM
hehe.. check out the PM I sent you :wink: