PDA

View Full Version : storing in corney kegs

maple sapper
03-23-2009, 08:53 PM
I am going to be storing in corney kegs (soda kegs). Does anyone else who does this put a few pounds of pressure in the keg to keep a good seal? Is Nitrogen a good option? If not what can be used? Thanks Maple sapper

softmaple
03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
i just fil them up close to the top and shake them when the cover is on and let it be. last year i did the same thing and no mold or problems

maplehound
03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
I use them as well. I have never pressurized mine but have thought about it. I believe it would help but most of the time I have no problem as long as they are hot packed and then shook real well to sterilize the top.

Bucket Head
03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm not familiar with soda kegs, so I don't know what fittings you have on the top of them.

Either way, you should not have to pressurize them. Why would you want to?

You would put hot syrup (180-190 degrees) in them, cap them, and they will seal themselves when they cool. They develop a vacuum when they cool, just like when you bottle the syrup. Just like canning when using Mason jars.

Do the kegs have a cap with a good gasket, or o-ring on them? If not, can you get just a cap for them? If not, I would'nt use them and chance the syrup going bad.

Steve

maplehound
03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Bucket head,
The containers we are talking about do have a camber lock top on them, however they also have two places where gas can be put into one and pop syrup will come out the other. If they arn't pressurized the the tiny ball valve's can open and break your seal. i have only had this happen a coulpe times. Also the tops have a rubber O-ring that ussually seal very well but can get slight nicks in them, when presurized those nicks seal up without any problem.

tuckermtn
03-23-2009, 09:31 PM
I got all the fittings for doing the nitro add to corny kegs, but was just recently told to try it out without it...so we have been filling near the top, tipping it on its side, rolling it around and then checking seal for leaks...one has leaked so far, but the others have not...so I'm going to leave them as is, and see what happens with the leaker...I'll let you know in the fall...

maplehound
03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Just be sure to use the one that leaked first. That is what I ussually do. Although I just shake mine back and forth a few times I have never tried rolling them around.