PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Stainless Tank

ronr
03-23-2009, 05:15 PM
I recently got a good deal on a stainless tank, 70 Gal. open top, and had to weld up some holes and grind them smooth. I plan on scrubbing the inside out with an acid stainless cleaner and then a solution of baking soda, using a mild abrasive pad with both, followed by a good rinse. Is this a good idea? I am open to better suggestions for cleaning as I want to avoid any chance of a metallic taste in my syrup. Thanks in advance!

Grade "A"
03-23-2009, 06:21 PM
I would think that would work. I clean mine with bleach, good scrub, then a rinse every night (I don't know why, I'm still making dark syrup).

maple flats
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
I just clean mine with spray nozzel on my sap pump (about 80psi) and a brush made for cleaning such a tank. I only use water except just before the season when I use a peroxide solution. Not this year but most I make light syrup early in the season cleaning this way. Your ideas should be good.

Russell Lampron
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't scrub my tanks or pans with anything abrasive. I use a bulk tank brush which has nylon bristles on the tanks. A solution of white vinegar and hot water works good for cleaning stainless and is non toxic.

maplekid
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
i dont think you should use baking soda doesnt it tarnish stainless?

PerryW
03-23-2009, 09:38 PM
I have never used abrasives or acids on my SS sap tanks. To my knowledge, acids and abrasives would only be required for removing scale (like in the pans).

I wash with a each tank few gallons of 5% unscented bleach solution and a foam mop then rinse a couple times with water.