PDA

View Full Version : Can I save this?

Maine4me
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I finished 2 gallons in the house last night, but noticed that the batch started to foam up at only 200F, I kept boiling (even though the spatula was aproning) till the syrup hit 215, which is typical syrup for me. The problem i noticed was this morning there was little syrup and a whole lot of sugar crystals in my jugs. Can I add boiling water to the jugs and dissolve the sugar and add some fresh sap and re-boil / finish? The sugar is not hard like candy but is soft and gel like.

sap seeker
03-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I finished 2 gallons in the house last night, but noticed that the batch started to foam up at only 200F, I kept boiling (even though the spatula was aproning) till the syrup hit 215, which is typical syrup for me. The problem i noticed was this morning there was little syrup and a whole lot of sugar crystals in my jugs. Can I add boiling water to the jugs and dissolve the sugar and add some fresh sap and re-boil / finish? The sugar is not hard like candy but is soft and gel like.

Had this same thing occur on my first batch this season. Poured it back in a pot, threw about 1/2 gallon of sap in with it, and reheated everything back to 219. Just right now, what's left:D

maple flats
03-23-2009, 07:05 PM
If you didn't burn it you can add sap and reboil. Try using a hydrometer and you will have more consistant syrup.