PDA

View Full Version : Wood Chip Arches

Troleau25
03-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I am trying to learn about wood chip arches or gasifires? I would like to learn where to find them and if anyone has them. I didnt know if anyone could take a minute to write a couple lines about them and where they bought it and if its an incert to the existing arch or if you have to buy a whole arch. Thanks it will be greatly appreciated.

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2009, 10:56 PM
I think maple pro carries a line of them but can't remember. I seen them in one of the catalogs I have. I do know it was not leader, D&G or Lapierre. Gotta check the rest of my catalogs that are in the sugarhouse. I will check tomorrow and get back to you.

802maple
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey is this Trent?
I also believe that you can get info from CDL as they have a new line of pellet and chip arches. Chip Tech in Bristol used to make a gasifier but I am not sure if they are even still in business

Troleau25
03-24-2009, 08:21 AM
is it possible to request a catalog from CDL? i couldnt find how to and maple pro is a branch of CDL right?

3rdgen.maple
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
is it possible to request a catalog from CDL? i couldnt find how to and maple pro is a branch of CDL right?

Yes sir you can, looking at their catalog now, page 4. burns wood, pellets or woodchips. Located in St. Albens,Vt. Phone number is 1-802-527-0000 or www.maplepro.com This directs you right to cdl and there is a catalog option download on there as well. hope this helps.

Pete33Vt
03-25-2009, 03:50 AM
Garth Atherton and Nicky Atherton just setup a sugarhouse in Bakersfield with a wood chip arch. So if you get ahold of Maple pro you should be able to get some info. That is if anyone is there to talk to.

Fred Henderson
03-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Paul Smiths college near Saranac Lake NY had one and could give you a lot of pro and cons to using one of them. All you would need to do is write or email them.

dano2840
03-25-2009, 09:24 AM
martin vontrap has a wood chip fired rig, i havent seen it but i am going to this year just gotta time it when im not boiling and he is

Troleau25
03-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Would Garth and Nicky Atherton or Martin Vontrap be open to visitors? I assume so.

GGervais
03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Garth & Nick are near my sugarbush. They are definitely open to visitors. When i get a chance i will stop in there. I talked to Garth a little the other day & he likes his rig so far.

dano2840
03-26-2009, 10:35 AM
i went up to martin vontraps last night and he was just shuting down but i got to see how the whole thing works, he has a 5x15 i think king evap, used to be wood fired, but he has a tower probably 4ft wide x 10ft tall that he fills with i think 3 bucket fulls of chips with his kubota, i dont know if he bought this system or made it, but there are 2 trianlge pieces above the combustion area and those make it so there is an air space under them the rest of the combustion area is filled with chips, they fall down by gravity, so if you fill the hopper up and you know your going to run out of sap before you empty the hopper of wood chips, you better get alot of water, because you cant shut this system down if the hopper has chips, in front of the combustion chamber there is a 1 ft dia, tube in which the fire is blown threw berfore entering the evaporator, he has 3 blowers on the thing, its pretty cool, i think its much more efficiant than split wood, i go through the same size of split wood per hour as he does chips on my little 3x8, but there are more chips in that size because there is more air space in a stacked pile of wood but still its way more efficiant, todays arches made by cdl you can shut down with chips still in the hopper, i almost think martin built it or it was a very early chip burner. as for him being open to visitors, im not sure i only went up there with out knowing him because my family has known him for along time, so i figured i would be fine but he is a nice enough guy so im sure he wouldnt mind, i know he is boiling when the gate is open on the road to the sugar house