PDA

View Full Version : Bear at the Sugar House

Mac
03-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I have a three sided "sugar house" with no roof.....Had a near miss with a bear last night. My own fault, I live here and I should know..He just made off with the bird feeders, and tipped over some 5 gallon buckets.. I guess I will have to bring my pan in every night now....WHAT A PAIN... I could just drain it at night... but he would still tip the pan over...Any backyarders have any trouble or better ideas....? 7mm? :D

KenWP
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Whens bear season open. Where I lived in Alberta a bear was fair game if you were a farmer or bee keeper. You just shot it and that was the end of the story. You didn't even have to report it.

PerryW
03-23-2009, 08:22 AM
try electric fence around the sugarhouse

Dill
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Get a big dog, and a 12 gauge.

325abn
03-23-2009, 09:12 AM
I strand of electric fence around your whole set-up will do the trick!

gmcooper
03-23-2009, 09:23 AM
The electric fence sounds like a good idea. That way when you get tangled up in it lugging sap or syrup you can yell and scream as you get zapped and fall dumping everything. A racket like that will surely keep any bears away! LOL

M1sterM
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Generally, if the bear is in the action of damaging property, you can shoot it without any problems. The state agency generally would like you to report it, though.

Sometimes, if there is a nuisance bear in the area, the agency will trap and relocate a problem animal, but not always. Give them a call, just to make sure they're cool with whatever you want to do, and they may have some tips for you.

mapleack
03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
A quarter pound of golden marlin granulated fly poison mixed into a quart of honey. You won't see the bear again. (So I've heard anyway, from someone I don't remember.)

Mac
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
I decided to lay some planks on top of my S/S cover for the pan, and I lowered the bucket of my Kubota onto the planks, and put the bucket in float... Pretty easy for me to do,, as I put my 55 Gallon drums in the bucket, and fill my preheater from that... Will shall see!!!!!!!!! The bear will be back I am sure.... I'll keep ya posted

Brent
03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Don't go running off and blow a lot of money on an electric fence. Many beekeepers have had colonies wiped out in spite of electic fences. The problem is the bear's hair is so thick it insulates him and he doesn't get zapped unless he steps on the wire or his bare nose hits it.

Beekeeps hang honey laced strips of cloth on the wires so when he licks or sniffs he gets it. Around hives they help, sometimes, sometimes they only help the guys that sell them