PDA

View Full Version : Bottling When Hot?

MahoskyBrosMapleFarm
03-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Can someone explain the process or putting their cold syrup in a bottler / finisher, and packaging syrup. I noticed some people said you have to filter it after you get it up to the proper temperature in your bottler (185). But by time i filter mine is down to about 150 degrees.

mapleman3
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Yes you need to have a heated canner , it HAS to be at least 180-190deg to be canned correctly and not have any problems in the future with those jugs.

some use an electric coffee maker(the large styles) of course don't use it for coffee too, you need one with no smell in it. some will keep your syrup at that temp.otherwise you'll need some way to keep your syrup hot...but don't reheat over 190deg then it will need to be filtered again!

MahoskyBrosMapleFarm
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Would it be alright to put a pot on our stove inside and keep the burner on about medium temp or whatever it takes to keep it at 190, then just pour it into a funnel which goes into our containers?

mapleman3
03-22-2009, 08:25 PM
:) Absolutely

just don't go too hot, when it gets above 190 it starts to niter up again for some scientific reason ;)

MahoskyBrosMapleFarm
03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah, last time i didn't think we went above that, but we must have and sure enough they niter started building up... Well thanks for the advice and i'll let you know how things go after tmrw night!

MaplePancakeMan
03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
not to get totally off topic but.... the other day i was bottling up a gallon of grade b syrup into pints. I put it in my canner and turned the burner on to heat it up. Forgot that it takes a lot less time to heat 1 gallon as opposed to the 5 gallons i normally do. i came back and this thing was roaring boiling. fearing a refilter i just put it in to a big glass gallon jug and was content to let it settle out. However to my surprise it didn't niter up a stitch it was as clear as when i put it into the canner. Why would this happen?

mapleman3
03-23-2009, 06:38 AM
Luck ;) sometimes it happens

PerryW
03-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Would it be alright to put a pot on our stove inside and keep the burner on about medium temp or whatever it takes to keep it at 190, then just pour it into a funnel which goes into our containers?

Yes, this will work, but I like to at least strain the reheated syrup through a prefilter in case some foreign matter got in the syrup. But I wouldn't worry unless you are selling it.

danno
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM
not to get totally off topic but.... the other day i was bottling up a gallon of grade b syrup into pints. I put it in my canner and turned the burner on to heat it up. Forgot that it takes a lot less time to heat 1 gallon as opposed to the 5 gallons i normally do. i came back and this thing was roaring boiling. fearing a refilter i just put it in to a big glass gallon jug and was content to let it settle out. However to my surprise it didn't niter up a stitch it was as clear as when i put it into the canner. Why would this happen?

Give it a month or two - that bottle will probably cystalize on the bottom pretty good.