PDA

View Full Version : Are we done?

The Butcher
03-22-2009, 07:22 PM
My trees seem to be budding already? Could it almost be over?

I over doubled my taps this year but really didn't see a huge increase in syrup. Are others finding the same? Is this a bad year for the area?

I had a couple of really good days in the last couple of weeks, but sap is much slower and already starting to get darker.

How is everyone else doing?

tuckermtn
03-22-2009, 09:28 PM
are you on Reds? No sign of budding on our sugar maples...

PerryW
03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm at 41 gallons and hoping for 100. But it's still early up where I am (near Littleton)

KenWP
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
I would hope we are not done here just yet. I only have had one day where the trees actually ran to any extent.

Mac
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM
Ran like a scalded dog here..... today.. no sign of budding yet on the reds, I have a few silvers and they have had big buds for months,, but still delivering clear sap..... I gave 50 gallons of sap to a friend as I just have too much. Boiled all I had today, and my son collected another 120 gallons this eve.......Had some grandios plans to keep a record of everything.... how much I collect... sap % hours boiled... wood burned, hours spent...collecting/boiling.....Lets just say it fell a little to the wayside... I have collected a lot of sap... burned a lot of wood... and spent a lot of time!!!!!!! Oh yea.. buy stock in hydrometres.. I'm on # 4......

Amber Gold
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
No budding yet, but my sugar content is really, really low...especially for tapping mostly sugars. Not making much syrup for what I'm boiling. I've heard other's are having similiar situation. Still running good though.

The Butcher
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey Josh good to hear from you. Sounds like you have been quite the busy guy!! That sucks about the sugar content.

I hope that this cold snap will get me one more run.

I am not sure what type of maples I have tapped. I need to wait until the leaves come for me to identify them. I do know that I had some run much better than others that were right next to each other.

The Butcher
03-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Well so much for budding. The last two days things ran awesome!!

Will be boiling tomorrow night!!!

Amber Gold
03-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Good to hear...I'm surprised. Everything I have on tubing is running great and my buckets have been shutdown since this weekend.

Have fun.

Dill
03-27-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm the opposite, buckets are doing well, tubing isn't.
The east breeze on my taps down in Lee is probably slowing down the run, I didn't boil between sunday and thursday this week. Looks like we'll probably be done next week. It looks warm with above freezing overnight. But that's what they where saying last week.

220 maple
03-28-2009, 08:03 AM
New Hampshire Traders?
I am shocked that your Sugars appear to be budding, mine in the the mountains of West Virginia show no sign of budding yet, this past Monday night we had 15 degrees. I have been told that if it goes below 17 degrees it kills the buds, my red maples always bud early and always get froze and the buds drop off, they start over but never produce any seeds after they freeze. Only twice in the last 10 years that the reds did not bud early and produced water as long as the sugars produced.

Mark 220 Maple

Mac_Muz
03-28-2009, 08:53 AM
The sugar maples not tapped in the yard and in more sun appear to be starting to turn red in buds this morning.. I hope the trees I tap in the swamp stay colder and a bit late, as I want to get in more sap sometime.

Last year I had only 15 taps and buckets out and have gone to 35, and still havent made 12 qts like I did last year for lack of sap.

I did my 2nd boil last Thursday and have not bottled it but will this morning.

My first batch made 1 gallon, and I think this 2nd boil will be 5 quarts, maybe 6 if I get lucky.

I could use another cold snap.

PerryW
03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
No sign of budding here in the Littleton NH area. Still about 40% of the sugarbush is snow covered and the ice is still solid on all the ponds.

Today the temp hit 65 deg in Littleton, but I dont think my sugarbush got that hot. The weather does NOT looks good for a couple days, but I believe there is still a lot of season left in my area. My grade is still at the FANCY-MEDIUM border even despite the warm weather. Still only 3 weeks since I bored the holes.

I have 70 gallons of syrup so far this season and hoping for 100.

Mac_Muz
03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Perry. I didn't drill a hole till March 2nd, and then only 15 taps were set.

Then in times i got more buckets here and there, so many holes are newer than 3 weeks.

Last Thrusday I boiled off for my 2nd time and got another gallon of a medium dark amber, just slightly darker than my first batch.

So I am still hoping for some sap and getting a dark grade b like syrup which I like best.

I find it odd some trees right next to other like trees just don't seem to run much if at all. Did I somehow miss, when I drilled? The wood I got out was light near white tan maple, and i am dead on sure these are all sugar maple.

Not a phone pole in the lot either! :D

michelle32
03-29-2009, 01:15 PM
40 minutes south of you, maybe just starting to show signs of budding. But with the weather forcast for the week all these red maples will be popping for sure. Honey bees arn't after them yet so still good for now. If the weather turns cold and a good april snow storm. Could bring them back to running again.

PerryW
03-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I find it odd some trees right next to other like trees just don't seem to run much if at all. Did I somehow miss, when I drilled? The wood I got out was light near white tan maple, and i am dead on sure these are all sugar maple.

In addition to my tubing, I hang about 50 buckets. Some trees just run good and some don't. There are a few of those trees that out-perform the others by 2-3 times. There are also other trees that (year after year) under-perform. Also, in the same tree (with multiple buckets), the flow will vary widely between buckets.

Darned if I know why?

PerryW
04-11-2009, 12:57 AM
Well it ain't over yet hear despite the sounds of peepers just getting ready to peep.

Just broke the century mark (100 gallons, our expected crop) and looks like there may be a few more runs. The grade dropped slightly into B yesterday but the last batches to come off tonight were almost medium again.

Mac_Muz
04-13-2009, 05:52 PM
My taps seemed to be dry and so I yanked my buckets. I tapped a pipe stick in each hole but no so tight no leaks would occur, and no one is leaking or bleeding.. I am all done for this year.

Buckets ready for a rain wash.. The sap in the buckets was yellow, and had no flavor I could tell.

I am going to call it a bad season for me, since I made all of 9 quarts with 35 taps. next year is coming.. I found new goo dtrees and new poor ones, and some nore new ones I haven't tried, but look promising down in a clearing by the brook.

Over summer I hope to build a small sap house, for almost no money :D