PDA

View Full Version : An Unexpected Visit

RileySugarbush
03-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I assume this happens occasionally. I know I have often wondered if any sirens I hear are heading towards me. This time, yes!

Over the last decade, our property has been surrounded by suburbia. Someone thought our sugarhouse was on fire from the vapor. Three cops from two jurisdictions and a couple of fire trucks responded. Luckily the fire trucks didn't try to drive down into the bush.

No harm, no foul and two officers got a tour and a taste of near syrup.

fred
03-22-2009, 02:08 PM
no doubt it happens alot . at my old sugarhouse we would go to the firehouse each year and remind them that we were going to start boiling again so they didnt make needless trips to the farm

KenWP
03-22-2009, 02:23 PM
You guys do not have any snow there.

RileySugarbush
03-22-2009, 04:16 PM
This is a first in 13 years...

Snow melted last week with the first of two heat waves. Yesterday was the start of number 2.

maplehound
03-22-2009, 05:16 PM
We get several people stop every year just to tell us that our barn is on fire. Several years ago we even had a visit from our local fire chief. He had several calls about us that day so he drove out just to check on us, even though he knows what is happening. We are on a list of maple producers in his jurisdiction and they always double check before sending out a truck unless the call comes from us or a neighbor.

KenWP
03-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I decided to boil out in front of the garage and built a small lean-too off the front of it so I have a roof over my head and am close to tools and everything can be put inside easy. I was going to boil behind the garage so that people could not see what I was doing but figured might as well prove I am crazy instead of people just thinking I am. Was out side untill a little after 11pm watching steam is what it probbably looked like. This next week I hopefully have to do it again.

mapleman3
03-22-2009, 07:16 PM
Had a cop stop by the other night when he saw the sparks from the stack and the steam, once he saw me walk out he knew things were ok... I like the idea of letting the Fire Dept know that boiling season is here. and maybe giving them a cell # to call is a good idea since we are always away from a house phone.

markct
03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
theres a local sugarmaker here who is right along a busy main road, he used to have so many calls to the fire dept from people driving by he finaly put up a sign that said "NO FIRE - SUGARHOUSE" and still got one or two calls into the fire dept i hear.

3rdgen.maple
03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
The only way the fire company would show up at my place is if I had free boiling soda's to pass out. Small town with too many bars. :lol:

Dave Y
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
I boil along the main highway in the middle of town. Last year I had 3 cops and the fire dept here. This year I have had the cops and abut 100 people stopping thinking we are on fire. Finally I put a sign out by the road that says "WE KNOW" that seems to work.

Jerome
03-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Years ago I was scoring a new concrete floor in a basement with a concrete saw as the windows had not installed yet all of the dust was just drifting out, you ca imagine my surprise when all of a sudden the basement was filled with firemen hoses at the ready. I had not heard anything with the saw and ear protection. but I think I jumped a foot when they came in.

Russ
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
We are so far from civilization that we only have to worry about the fire tower spotters... and they have us marked on their maps, according to the local fire ranger.