PDA

View Full Version : How long does syrup last?

Tomahawk
03-21-2009, 08:25 PM
I just found a 10 oz jar of (homemade)syrup in the back of my fridge -- it has a faded, handwritten label on it that says "Feb 19, 2005."

Does it go bad?

What's the deal?

fred
03-21-2009, 08:45 PM
i have glass jars of syrup from a producer that pasted away 10 years ago that was made in the early 70's and still is good

Homestead Maple
03-21-2009, 09:00 PM
As long as the seal isn't broken it will not spoil. After many years it will be sort of flat tasting, at least that's the experience I had with some syrup that we found in my grandmother's pantry when she passed away in 1994. The syrup had been made by my father and uncle in 1948 and a few small glass containers had never been opened, so we opened one and the only thing about it was that if was somewhat flat tasting.

oneoldsap
03-22-2009, 08:35 AM
If it's stored in a freezer it will last forever, it will not freeze hard so it won't damage it's container. Cool and dark storage is a good thing !

BarrelBoiler
03-22-2009, 01:45 PM
i 've had 5yr old syrup that was fine it was hot packed. my sister had some four year old syrup from the same batch that she used sparingly from the day i gave it to her kept it in her fridge after she opened it . she lives in az

Tomahawk
03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
Some great answers guys, informative and humorous at the same time, thanks!

KenWP
03-25-2009, 07:51 AM
Hopefully it last a while as I plan on makeing what I can when I can and useing it as needed and hopefully have a bit left over each year to make up for a bad year . I have a ceramic jug of syrup that is going on 35 years old and I allwasy wondered if its still good. I never opened it since the jug is a hand signed collectors edition. There is a potter down the road that I have to see if she has something similar for some of my product.