PDA

View Full Version : problems with tank

maple flats
03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Today I found a problem with one sap tank that made some nice looking syrup into commercial at best. I bought a new 550 gal plastic tank but ignorantly did not wash it out. It apparently had plastic something in it that off flavored about 25 gal of my syrup. I had to eliminate the tank til during the week when I can take the time to clean the tank.
If I am not the only one not to know this ahead, please make sure YOU clean any new tank before using it.

Homestead Maple
03-21-2009, 08:51 PM
It doesn't take much sometimes to put an off flavor in syrup, I agree. Back when I filtered with a filter tank, the new tank that looked so nice and shiny and clean but the first syrup I filtered through it tasted of acid or sour. The outlet fitting had been soldered on the tank and the flux or something of that sort hadn't been washed off was all I could figure, so 5 gallons of light syrup became commercial, but 25? I feel bad for you.

sapman
03-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Sorry about your troubles, Dave. I, too, bought a new 550 vertical poly tank for hauling sap. I did wash with a mild bleach solution, then rinsed well. Glad I did, I guess. I wouldn't have expected an off flavor, though.

All the best,
Tim

markct
03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
mhh interesting i hadnt thought of this, i washed my used 300 gal tank over and over, as well as my 75 gal stainless water tank and my 300 gal milk tank, but my 210 tank i bought brand new from tsc i didnt even think of it! luckly it hauled the water for my first test boil, so maybe that was enough to flush it out cause i didnt have any problems!

Russell Lampron
03-23-2009, 06:25 AM
New tanks have a sticker right on them that say to wash them before the first use. Must not have seen that one. Have someone else taste that syrup before you sell it as mersh. It may not be noticeable to them. I can usually taste it in the sap on the first run from new tubing installation but don't notice it in the syrup.

KenWP
03-23-2009, 07:51 AM
After reading this I will have to run a bit more hot water thru my new preheater to make sure I get all the flux out from the soldered joints. It takes me a week or more to get enough sap to make a gallon of syrup and would be impposible to replace it like you bigger guys do and would have no use for off tasteing syrup around here.

maple flats
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
My tank has and had no such sticker. I picked it up at the factory, bought thru national Tank Outlet. No paperwork came with it either. I have had 2 other plastic tanks in the past but both were truck tanks and hauled water for cleaning in prep for the season. The final toll for lost grade A was 33-35 gal. I took a sample to my local Leader dealer for tasting. They agreed, bad after taste. The strange part is that if tasted hot I get almost no after taste, but cold I do. A friend suggested i just label it, must be served hot for best flavor. I will still sell it for commercial. As of right now I have tracked down every unit sold except 1. I sold a quart to someone who i have never seen before and they did not stay to watch the boil. Most do. I do not want any syrup out there with my name on it with less than perfect taste.