PDA

View Full Version : channels not fully welded and need way to seal them

maple sapper
03-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I modified my pan this past year to have more channels. The ability to get good visiability to weld the channels end to end is vertually impossible due to the outer walls being so tall. The partitions are tack welded evenly spaced. The problem that is occuring is that the highly concentrated sap is mixing while boiling and makeing really dark syrup due to being in the pan so long. The question is, Is there a material that I can use to seal the partions at the bottom to keep the mixing from happening and be food grade? J-B weld perhaps? Or a hight temp food grade silicone? The pan is all stainless. I have thought about sodering but acess is poor not to mention heat on the bottom of the pan makes it want to bow away. Any imput would be of great help. thanks Maple sapper

MapleME
03-21-2009, 10:11 AM
I dont know if JB Cold Weld is food safe or not, but if it is.. It would be easy to shmear down in the holes you have.
MapleME

BarrelBoiler
03-21-2009, 12:08 PM
hi temp food grade rtv will work. we got ours from a plumbing friend

maple sapper
03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Barrelboiler,

I applied some RTV high them nsf grade silicone and seems to be working well after one boil. It will probably take another good run to push the rest of the dark stuff out but looking positive. Thanks again.