PDA

View Full Version : Maine Maple Sunday

tessiersfarm
03-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Everyone ready? I saved too much sap so I need to boil Sat too but that is no problem. I won't get to go around and see others this year because we are open but good luck all.

gmcooper
03-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Thought I would pass on an update. We did survive Maple Sunday. The turnout was way beyond what we expected and we usually are swamped for the day. The breakfast was mobbed and the line waiting usually gets to the street but they were actually almost 200 feet down the side of the road at one point. I know we lost some customers because of the wait. Some said an hour. I'm not happy with that either, going to change some plans for next year. We had 20+ volunteers helping during the day which were great and we could never do it with out them!

Syrup sales were also a bit surprising. We were cleaned out of gallons and 1/2 gallons very early in the day. quarts were gone by mid afternoon. We did bottle 20+ quarts after that and they went as soon as we could get them labeled. Glass went the slowest which I did figure on since it is more money per ounce. we had one 50 ml leaf left at the end of the day that was it.

Hoping everyone else had a good day!

Mark

Revi
03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
We kept it mellow, but a lot of people came to visit anyway. It was perfect. We sold a lot of syrup, but we didn't have the three ring circus we have had in past years. We had a lot to boil, so we kept the steam rising to the heavens for the whole weekend, and ended up making 10 gallons which is a lot for us. We are now up to 17 gallons for the season, and it looks like good weather all this week, so we'll be over 20 for the first time in about 4 years. Our motto was more taps and less sap. Careful what you wish for!

VoterVale Farm
03-24-2009, 06:08 AM
We didnt have anyone show up, which of coarse we didnt advertise because we could not accomondate anyone. We are so small of an operation. The family and I sat boiling all day after church and had Chinese cuisine while we watch the sap boil down. We made around 2 gallons and have 7 gallons to date. The most we have ever done.