PDA

View Full Version : filtering questions

paulinwindham
03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
I just started to tap and boil this year and as with most new hobbies, I went on line and bought a bunch of stuff. So... I added some "filter aid" to my second batch of syrup and ran it through a poly-fiber cone filter, but the "Filter aid" was too fine to be trapped by the filter. Any sugestions to get this stuff out?

325abn
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Not sure why you would use filter aid with a cone filter, I think that stuff if for use with a filter press. I try refiltering the syrup you now have with filter aid in it. you may have to chaulk it up to an lessen learned.

ennismaple
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree that you likely don't need it. We use a 36"x36" flat filter to do all of our syrup and have never used filter aid. I know every bush has different niter levels but I'd try filtering without it. To get rid of the leftover I'd try warming up the affected syrup and add some new unfiltered syrup and run it all through the filter again - sounds like you simply added too much.

paulinwindham
03-20-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys. I just started this year so I'm still figuring a few things out but with my 8 tap I've managed to come up with 1.5 gallons of syrup. I'm having some fun but now I can see how fast this can spiral into 100's of taps. Thanks again.

JohnM
03-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome Paul,

I am a small operation too and like to let gravity settle out the sugar sand, or filter aid in your case. I let my finished syrup sit for about a week before hot filtering it into jars.

I have also put cloudy syrup in mason jars and let it settle for months if needed, then pour off the clear for home use or into clean jars for friends.

Welcome Paul!

PerryW
03-21-2009, 10:52 AM
JohnM - I have an old English tin settling tank that was used for that purpose. It's about 30 gallons and the drawoff valve is several inches above the bottom. I believe that they simply filled it with syrup and waited a month of so and could draw off clear syrup without the bother of filtering.