PDA

View Full Version : Making nothing but dark syrup with new ro

maplemaker
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
I need some help.I am making nothing but dark syrup.This is are first season using our new Darveau Ro.I am gathering our sap running it through the ro and boiling it as fast as it goes through the ro.We are gathering sap every day and dont let it sit.I rinse wash and rinse the ro every day when we are done and wash all my holding tanks every day.We never had this problem before we usually make mostly light and medium grade syrup.

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-19-2009, 09:51 AM
I dont have an r/o but all my syrup has been dark this year also

RICH

powerdub
03-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Sometimes no matter what you do you get what the sap gives you for color. Sounds to me like there is nothing wrong with your process.

Homestead Maple
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Your processing your sap soon enough. Your RO wouldn't change the grade. It's just the type of season, which is always something to be factored in.

Smith's Maple
03-19-2009, 11:04 AM
with my 3x8 and the ro if i concentrate to 7 or above i make dark. If i only take it to 6.5 i make fancy to med.My front pan can not keep up with the back pan.

ennismaple
03-19-2009, 12:11 PM
We've been concentrating to 8% and have made nothing but light syrup so far. Sounds like you're doing everything right. You can only work with what Mother Nature gives you!

Sugarmaker
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Wow nothing but light syrup for Ontario! Nice. We just cant get there this year in NWPA. Early sap runs looked great but did not make light syrup!

Good summary. Do the right things and make as light of syrup as possible.

Chris

Brent
03-20-2009, 05:08 PM
we're well west of Ennismaple, just north of Toronto. Using our little RO rig we are running about 4% and getting nothing but lightest. Never made anything but since we moved here and start 5 years ago.

PATheron
03-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Down here this year the only people that made light syrup of any extent are probly lying. No one has made any thing but dark syrup. I also think you get what mother nature gives you. Theron

Brian Ryther
03-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Brian,
40 miles to the north, no ro and nothing but dark. Today was off the chart dark, but exclent flavor.

maple flats
03-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Same here, no RO and all dark. Still hoping for at least some Med. This year is just different.

sapman
03-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Now I feel fortunate to be getting medium. Hope it keeps up. I was begrudging the fact that I hadn't quite gotten light, not that it really matters, as med. is what I usually sell anyway. Been concentrating between 8-10%.

Tim

WF MASON
03-22-2009, 04:53 AM
I've talked with many and haven't heard but two making fancy, I forget what part of NY Gauges Maple is in , he said he's running a RO to and its been all medium and dark, the same story for most, but the real story is going to be if everyone makes half a crop, and thats with adding taps in every bush tapped, is the season at the end now? A couple good snowstorms are needed to keep thing flowing , and soon.
Prices from across the boarder(Ossipee NH) yesterday were $60. a gallon, $37. a half gallon, at the sugarhouses, I can't see customers paying it , but if a half crop is all thats made this spring, what will fall prices look like if theres any left to buy.

lew
03-22-2009, 07:38 AM
Maple maker

I live just over the hill from you in Smithville Flats. I've made nothing but Dark and now B. Made it from some of the nicest looking sap, Just one of those years.