PDA

View Full Version : Road side tree sugar content

backyardsugarer
12-08-2004, 12:47 PM
I have read several forums here about the higher sugar content of "roadside" trees and "yard " trees as opposed to ones in thicker woods. Is this because of competition among the trees for water/sugar and sunlight. Just wondering since I will be able to pick and choose my trees this year :lol:

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Chris,

Roadside trees and field trees normally have higher sugar content because they have larger crowns. Normally the larger the crown, the higher the sugar content and the more sap it will likely produce. It does not always hold true for sap production, but normally for sugar content. :D

mapleman3
12-08-2004, 02:24 PM
My best producers and sweetest trees are my avg sized roadside trees.. even with the roadsalt and abuse they get they are great!!! I will be adding about 50 taps on roadside this season on buckets. if I can drive up next to the tree on my route ... I'll tap it for sure(with permission)

Russ
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
The best trees we ever had were in a woods that cows were allowed to go into for years. Brush/undergrowth were minimal and the regular fertilizing probably didn't hurt either. During that year, we had tests of 4+% average from that woods. Where we are now, we're lucky to get 2.5%.

Which brings up a different topic of fertilizing the sugar bush. Does anyone here do it or know of someone who does? I know one guy that does; I'll try to find out what he uses, how much, how often and how applied.

forester1
12-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Big research article in the last 2 issues of the Maple Digest about fertilizing a sugarbush. It boils down (no pun :) ) to it is no substitute for regular thinning and proper management, but it can help in certain situations such as soil deficiencies. The test they ran looked like it increased sap production for a couple years, then the affects start to taper off. Most of the time, a sugarbush is in need of thinning to release the trees from crowding. If that is not done, fertilizing is a waste.

backyardsugarer
12-09-2004, 09:35 AM
OK, then I will look at the crowns. Thanks

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Chris,

Normally trees that are roadside or in the fields almost always have big crowns. The key is to find good healthy trees and the crowns will be there! :D :D