PDA

View Full Version : HELP, vacume won't run

jtbucket
03-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Just set up a 5hp Honda gas pump to run my old dairy vacume, but I can't seem to pull the pump over with the belt attached to the vacume. Tried loosening the belt till I had the pump running smoothe, then tightening it up to the vacume, but then the pump stalls. I've been told the motor should have enough power to do this. Starting to wonder what my other options are. Feel like I keep spending $ while losing it at the same time. Any thoughts????? slittlebaldwin@aol.com

a

oneoldsap
03-18-2009, 06:25 PM
What size pulleys are you using ? What is the CFM of your Pump ?
What pump are you using . There are formulas to figure out what you need for RPMs for both pump and engine , most dairy pumps need to turn about a thousand RPMs to meet their CFM rating . If you have a 10" pully on your pump you are going to want a 3" on your engine if it runs at 3000 RPMs . If you don't have an oil reclaimer you may need to turn the pump the pump a little slower so that it doesn't overheat. If you have any more questions I will be on for a while. I'm up in Bristol, VT.

wdchuck
03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
If this is any heip- I have a 5 hp honda hooked to a surge sp22. The pump has the original pulley- I thinlk its 14". The motor has a 3" pulley and running at just slightly less than full throttle I pull 20-21 in. hg. I've tried a bigger pulley with similar results to yours- the extra speed on the pump didnt happen because the motor didnt have enough torque. Hope this helps- good luck!

halfast tapper
03-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Jtbucket
A friend of mine has a similar set up. He had a hard time pulling the motor fast enough to start it. He put a flat pulley on a handle and runs the belts loose enough to start the motor with out the pump turning over, once it starts he flips the handle down and puts a bungie on it holding it down and putting pressure against the belts to take up the slack. Works just like a spring loaded idler pulley in you car. works great. hope this helps.

jtbucket
03-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the trick, going to try the 3" pulley tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll give this a try. Thanks so much for the input.

jtbucket
03-18-2009, 08:11 PM
If this is any heip- I have a 5 hp honda hooked to a surge sp22. The pump has the original pulley- I thinlk its 14". The motor has a 3" pulley and running at just slightly less than full throttle I pull 20-21 in. hg. I've tried a bigger pulley with similar results to yours- the extra speed on the pump didnt happen because the motor didnt have enough torque. Hope this helps- good luck!

Thank you for your thoughts, gonna give this a try tomorrow. At least I won't be missing the run!!! Hopefully I'll have it ready for the next freeze, assuming we'll get one this weekend. ;)

jtbucket
03-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks Oneoldsap, I'm gonna try the 3" tomorrow after work. I'm always open for advice, still on this learning curve awaiting the straight away! I'll let you know tomorrow night how I made out.

jtbucket
03-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Wahoo!!!!! We're suck'n now!!!