PDA

View Full Version : semi shack

Acer
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi All,

Been really enjoying open airing this year, mostly because I have the luxury of boiling during the day. Was looking for ideas on a minimal shack timber frame style, maybe just a roof over the evaporator, with a breezeway to the woodshed/canning area which would also be under cover, with one wall to block the north wind, and pavers all around to keep the mud under control and let the sticky through.
Anyone else doing this? am I nuts? Really wouldn't be the same for me stuck in a shack. RO and vac will be at the house 100yds away.

Dean

BarrelBoiler
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I have done lots o fboiling in God"s Sugar Shack but the roof does leak once in awhile. I've been leaning toward a pinic table shelter for my next evaporator. Could put up tarps to block the wind and lots of gable room for the steam to escape. just an idea

tuckermtn
03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Acer- I bet it wouldn't cost too much more to put some sides on a pavilion type structure. We sided ours with "planer-outs" or pine shiplap siding seconds. You could try Fernald Lumber just down the road from you and see if they sell seconds (if they are still in business) I just bought some more shiplap seconds that were .33 per bf. from our local mill... Hemlock framing and pine shiplap siding are pretty cheap materials to build with...just my $.02 worth

Acer
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Eric,

Sad to say I heard Fernald's was closing for good.

Not a money thing, just really enjoyed the outdoors this year, haven't gotten rained on yet though.

Dean

Dill
03-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Really any idea why they are closing? I used to work for the years ago. I know they had shut the saw mill down, it hadn't been the money making part of the operation for a while anyway. But the planeing side of things looked good. Granted I wasn't sure if the kids (I did go to High School with Joe) could run it. Didn't they also just get a big conservation chunk of change?

maplehound
03-17-2009, 10:18 PM
When my father to helped me build my sugar house, had locust logs sawn into the lumber to make a pavilion with a cupula on the top. for years we boiled in that with just tarps droped for our sides. WE would take the evaporator (2x6) out each year and store it in another building so I could use the pavilion for picnics. After buying our 3x8 evaporator and moving it out for a couple years we decided that was to much work so we enclosed the pavilion and left the evapoator sit. I still miss my picnic pavilion but the fully enclosed sugar house is a real converstion piece and is real nice when boiling in bad weather.

Acer
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Really any idea why they are closing? I used to work for the years ago. I know they had shut the saw mill down, it hadn't been the money making part of the operation for a while anyway. But the planeing side of things looked good. Granted I wasn't sure if the kids (I did go to High School with Joe) could run it. Didn't they also just get a big conservation chunk of change?

Could be just the sawmill shutting down. Don't Know.

NedL
03-18-2009, 11:54 AM
When my father to helped me build my sugar house, had locust logs sawn into the lumber to make a pavilion with a cupula on the top. for years we boiled in that with just tarps droped for our sides. WE would take the evaporator (2x6) out each year and store it in another building so I could use the pavilion for picnics.

That is great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And SWMBO will love it!

The Back Forty
03-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I've been thinking of hoop house structure, but haven't taken the initiative to see how fire retardent of material you can get to cover. Could leave sides open and at least one end. fairly cheap cover.

Likewise, you could use it in other places throughout the year as needed.

Old County Road
03-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Hello Eric Johnson of Tucker Mountain,

I was wondering if you could post the footprint dimensions of your sugarhouse (including the covered wood storage)? Based on the pictures you have posted the size of your building looks just about right for what I am thinking of building (which is 16' x 32') but I thought I would see if I could get your dimensions as a reference.

Thanks!

KenWP
03-23-2009, 10:53 PM
I was going to boil out in the open also untill I figured out how miserable it would be if it snowed or rained a bit or a lot. So I built a lean-too off the end of the garage and I had made portable wind breaks already useing plastic and some 2x4s and old door hinges and I kept pretty compfy . The evaporator dosn't give off much heat due to being insulated but as long as it's not too cold I survive.

BarrelBoiler
03-24-2009, 05:55 AM
My sister had a pvc pipe - plastic covered greenhouse kit she used for a sugershack. I tink it was 8x12 with a gable roof. with the barrelstove rippin' we had to be careful with the sides. Most of the time we had to sit outside as it was to hot inside. had to keep the stack leaned back away from the peak and replastic it every year due to sparks making hole. all in all it was better than outside.

also done syrup under a ridge pole off the side of the wood shed with the other end suported by two crossed poles, joined together by wire. Think tripod with one leg up against a wall. threw a heavy green tarp over and we were in business