PDA

View Full Version : pouring syrup back into the evaporator

michiganfarmer
03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
My wifre is at home running the evaporator. She is confused about how to accurately read the hydrometer. I think she is drawing off to soonb. I might have to dump it back in the evaporator when I get home, and boil it some more.

Where is the best place to pour it back in? Near the draw off?

SHOCKERS
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I have another ?. I was lazy last night and did not watch my pan I let it get to far. Syrup is hard in bottom of pan. Can I save it by boiling sap back into it or is it a goner.

tuckermtn
03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
we pour back in the divider closest to the draw-off- but I may be wrong...

mapleman3
03-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I will slowly add the near syrup into the float box, I do this on a startup sometimes if I switch sides and draw off to set the gradient.

as for the crusty stuff in shockers pan??? rock candy anyone?? Not sure if or why you want to save it, it is probably too burnt tasting and far gone to bother... but if you want to try put it in a separate pot with some sap and see what it does when heat is applied

Amber Gold
03-17-2009, 12:10 PM
If at the end of the night I get stuff that's close to syrup, I'll draw it off so it doesn't back mix. I'll add it in gradually to the drawoff channel the next time I fire up.

michiganfarmer
03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
thanks everybody

SHOCKERS
03-17-2009, 01:08 PM
It was to far gone! Thanks, just learned a big lesson!!! Dont get lazy. Just had to throw away about two gallons. OUCH!!!!