PDA

View Full Version : What's so bad about the GBM evaporators?

heus
03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
All info on this sight seems to point that these are junk. Is the arch too lightly built, poor quality pans?? I am interested in the 2X4 or 2X6 continous flow models.

markcasper
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
How do I say it?? Its a combination of both! BAD,BAD, BAD service. They do not stand behind their products! They might even file bankruptcy on you, just like they did to me.

Another thing, the flue pans they now have are not made by them, they come from Canada.

heus
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
So how would they compare in quality to a well-built homemade oil tank arch with a used pan bought from Bascom's?

markcasper
03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
I think you'd be better off going that route, and would be cheaper.

bison1973
03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I bought one a few years back as my first "real evaporator". It was very dissapointing. Didn't know much about them at the time and they told me it could easily handle 500 taps. It was very slow maybe for 200 taps max. Replaced it the next season and went with a CDL raised flue. I would never reccomend them to anyone.

heus
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Aren't there things that can be done to them to improve the evaporation rate? (tinker with firebrick placement, forced air, etc). I would think for 1700.00 for a continous deed 2X6 that would be a good starting point to customize and improve its efficiency. Maybe even installing abetter pan from bascom's down the road.

markcasper
03-18-2009, 10:23 AM
If you want to take the chance, then go ahead. It seems the things I have mentioned matter little in your decision.

Dill
03-18-2009, 10:33 AM
I haven't seem a postive GBM review on here before.
And I've never seen an overwhemlingly negative view of any other evaporators, including home built contraptions.

heus
03-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Mark,
I do value your opinion. I just need some specifics on why its so bad. Is made in Canada (flue pans) bad thing? At least its not made in China. Is this a company in your area in Wisconsin?
Bison, Any ideas why it didn't boil effectively?
I undertsand you get what you pay for, but this is an American company. Doesn't that mean anything?

MapleME
03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
If you were looking for an inexpencive rig for your first evap, why not look at the WF Mason evaps. You would get 100x the product and 500x the customer service.

One thing I have learned is that almost anything I have thought of, someone on here has thought of and tried. If they are not doing it, its for a reason. Consider them the beta test.

MapleME

Dill
03-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Does WF Mason have a website or price list available? I know he's on here.

MapleME
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Bill doesnt have a website, but if you email him he can send you his two brochures which have pictures. All you need to do is ask here for feedback. His stuff is great and I think everyone else who has his stuff would say the same. Plus your supporting a small manufacturer, which is a plus.

Jim Brown
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
We have delt with Bill(WF) Mason in the passed and nothing but good things to say.we bought our filter press through him no problems and very responsive to questions.All GOOD!!!

our two cents :)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-18-2009, 09:03 PM
WFMason is his username, send him a PM. Never heard anything but positive about Bill over the years and everyone says he is a great guy and makes top quality products at a better price than everyone else.

markcasper
03-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Heus: I will be more specific. No there is nothing made with GBM having the flue pans built in Canada. The reason they do that is because they are not capable of making flue pans.

I have to give it to them, they do build themselves up on their website that leaves an impression that is simply not true.

Being even more specific, GBM is a father-son deal, and from what I hear the father doesn't have much to do with it anymore. They live about an hour from me. In 1997 I purchased an "experemental evaporator", 4x12 "tube-flue" evaporator. It was the first wood fired one they had ever built. To make a long story short, it did not work and the pan leaked. I lost half my crop, fortunately another large producer 20 miles away took my sap. They hung the phone up on me numerous times, so I sued them in small claims. Their plea was to take the big pan back, take the pipes out and put diaganal flues in. When it was returned in December of 97, I test fired it. It worked better, but upon returning from chores to drain it, I noticed numerous leaks in the soldered joints.
So a court date was set and the same day I ordered a new set of Leader pans for the 98 season. 2 weeks later, I got a Chapter 7 bankruptcy notice. Need I say more?

heus
03-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the specifics Mark. I am going to go the fuel oil tank route. Ordered a 2X5 pan from bascom's.

markcasper
03-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Whats even worse is the mother is the executive directer for the Wis. Maple Producers Assoc. LOL

Marky Syrup
03-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Hi,

Where do you find out more about the WF Mason evaporator line? I cannot find them on-line. Thanks + Happy & Safe Syrup Season~

MapleME
03-19-2009, 01:25 PM
WF Mason is on this board- you can fin dhim under user names and send him an email. He is so good he doesnt need a website.

jtcinv
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I just purchased a 2 x 4 WesFab evaporator. Have not had a chance to boil anything but water on it so far, but it appears VERY well made. Many people might be familiar with his well-built filter presses. I purchased it from Maple Hollow in Antigo, WI.

Jeff

Mac
03-19-2009, 07:59 PM
JTC
I to have done my share of stimulating the economy... bought all new and local. I have my syrup down to $800.00 per gallon right now!!

jtcinv
03-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Mac- you need to get your costs up a bit. Maybe you can just buy better beer this season to keep your costs up.

Jeff

ebourassa
03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
i have had my mason 2x6 evap for 4 years now,great unit at a great price, i have him now building me a steamhood and preheater for next year, very pleasant to deal with. highly recommend

bison1973
03-20-2009, 09:05 PM
At the time I bought my GBM I had very little evaporator knowledge. GBM knew I was trying to do 500 taps at the time and told me the 2.5 x 8 could do it. No way! And I remember asking them several time if this unit could handle it. As I said before I got rid of it the next season and got a CDL and am now up to over 700 taps and have no problem. You have to have a flue pan to handle any substanial amount of taps. At the time everything they made was flat pans.

I feel they wanted to make a sale and told me what I wanted to hear.

sbingham
03-20-2009, 09:31 PM
This is my 3rd season on a GBM 2x4 evporator. The unit has been OK, but I am looking to upgrade for next year.
Not nearly the evaporation rate that I was told I would get. Workmanship & attention to detail a 5 or 6 out of 10 in my opinion.
On the plus side, I decided to purchase my pan and pre-heater from Paul at Stainless Steel Creations in Merrill, WI - these have worked out great and I feel will be a huge factor in getting some re-sale value when I sell the "unit", which hopefully will be after this season.
I just requested info from WF Mason and hope to take a closer look at the Wes-Fab unit for my next purchase.