PDA

View Full Version : Rear Pan Hood

Troleau25
03-16-2009, 09:13 AM
I was looking for insight on the setup of a rear hood. My father built one a few years back and had it completely covered, with doors and a stack. It looks like the ones you would buy, but we felt it wasnt letting the steam out quick enough and not letting the arch boil as much as it could. So we cut the top off to allow the steam to roll out. I need helping with understanding if there should be back pressure or not. Should the air have the ability to leave quick or should we have left the top on with a stack??

Bucket Head
03-16-2009, 02:04 PM
The only time you might want some back pressure would be if you had pre-heater coils in the hood. That way steam would fully envelop the coils. However, with mine, I run it "wide open" so the steam escapes freely and my pre-heater works fine.

I would put a stack back on it. Size the stack a little bigger than what you need so that way you know your not creating back pressure. I put a damper in my stack so in case i wanted some back pressure, but I have not used it.

With a stack on, if you don't have steam trying to come out around the doors and in between the hood and pan, you've sized it right and don't have steam backing up.

Steve