PDA

View Full Version : evap flow

slammer3364
03-14-2009, 10:59 PM
My wife wants to know what makes the condensed sap flow to the draw off . I am saying density and gravity but we would like some expert opinions on this 100 taps and planning on more

3rdgen.maple
03-14-2009, 11:39 PM
As sap is added at one end of the evaporator it pushes the denser sap towards the drawoff. It is kinda like the dam in a reservior the river feeds the reservior and it stops at the dam until the gates are opened. Im sure alot of other guys on here can give you a little more technical opinion but that is the easiest explanation I can think of.

Acer
03-15-2009, 06:32 AM
You are the alchemist turning sap into gold.
Its magic, that's all she needs to know.
That is until your magic happens in the middle channel and you have to bust out the scrubber.

D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-15-2009, 06:43 PM
The lowest sap level in the evaporator is at drawoff point pending the pans are level and liquid always seeks the lowest point and the syrup naturally flows or migrates to that area. The reason why it is the lowest level is that it is the farthest point from sap entry and it has to travel thru the entire evaporator to get there.

fred
03-15-2009, 10:03 PM
gravity , water seeks its own level

PerryW
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
For every molecule of water that evaporates from your pans, your float lets another molecule of cold sap flow in from your storage tank. Simple as that!

slammer3364
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks alot guys they were great replies my wife and enjoyed them and also learned something Thanks Slammer