PDA

View Full Version : leaky tap holes

Dave Puhl
03-14-2009, 08:41 PM
I have taps that are leaking around the tap any ideas???? most are on tubing...

maplekid
03-14-2009, 09:22 PM
ussually means that the hole is either egg shaped or not perfectly round or the taps not in tight.

ackerman75
03-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Did you pound your tap in to far and split the bark ?

Dave Puhl
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Taps are tight...lightly tap and quit when set...has me a wondering....

Russell Lampron
03-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Did you just tap them? If you did they will sometimes leak a little because of damage to the bark especially on small trees. after a run or two they will dry up unless the tap hole is egg shaped.

Dave Puhl
03-15-2009, 08:33 AM
After thinking on this they were fine before the below zero cold snap..I dont think I ever had taps in when it got that cold maybe that has something to do about it...will see in the next few days I checked some all were tight

maplecrest
03-15-2009, 09:44 AM
cold weather will push them out. are they black in color? thgey tend too loosen over time. had to go re pound many many times

3rdgen.maple
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I had some buckets and taps lying on the ground after that cold snap. Never seen that happen before First tree I came too with a bucket and tap on the ground thought I just didn't seat it in the tree then I found 3 more like that. Checked them all and some where definately push out a little. Tapped them back in and had no problems since.

rob1640
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Is it common for taps to leak at first then stop after a few days?

PerryW
03-15-2009, 10:22 PM
There's always a few taps that leak a little, but if the wet spot on the tree doesn't go all the way to the ground, you probably not losing that much. I will usually give them a little tap to see if they are seated properly.

Also, wet spots can form around the tapholes when the some trees start running, but the sapline is still frozen. Pressure builds up and some sap leaks, but once the line thaws out, the sap starts running and everything is fine.

KenWP
03-15-2009, 10:30 PM
I had some wet for a while also. The big freeze caused most of them as they were on trees that ran before it got so cold. Some of them I had to tap in and one or two just stopped and of course there has to be one that just has to run all ove the place. That one actually runs down the side of the plastic jug and my wife put a ice cream pail under it. Its a good tree as the jug got pretty full today also.

Dave Puhl
03-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Well after it warmed up from below zero temps the taps quit leakin...