PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice On Homemade Canner

jdsr
03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Does anyone have a good idea on how to construct a fairly simple canner, I would appreciate any advice.

PerryW
03-13-2009, 11:39 PM
You can make a 12" by 20" stainless steel box (12-16" deep) with a rack and cover and install a valve in the bottom. This will accept the standard size flat filters & pre-filters (24" X 36" i think)

or.

Get some standard cone filters and buy a coffee maker the the filters will hang inside.

You can actually just nail together some pine boards or strapping and hang the cone filters over a stainless steel pot, but unless the filter is enclosed, it will cool off too quick and you will have trouble passing the syrup thru it.

Fred Henderson
03-14-2009, 01:54 AM
A milking machine pail that sits on the floor makes a dany one. They are getting pretty near impossible to find. All you would need to do is have a fitting welded on it for a valve hook up and I would suggest welding it on the bottom.

bradley153
04-08-2009, 07:27 AM
he guys Im new here but have been making sugar for about 10 years.

I was checking out a dumpster behind a local McDonalds and found an old S.S. Ice Tea container so I grabbed it. when I got it home I was shocked to find that my cone filter fit in it just perfectly. I folded over the top and needed nothing to hold it in place. The S.S. container also has a valve on it that worked and I'm able to put a quart container below it. It holds about 2 1/2 to 3 gals of syrup that is ready to packageing.

KenWP
04-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I hang my cone filter over a SS pot to filter it and if I have to filter warm enough the first gallon pours through fast but the second hangs up for a day or so even putting it over the wood stove to keep warm. You need a pretty big coffe maker to use the cone filter as it hangs 16 inchs down so does not leave much room at the bottom. A SS cream can would be great if one could afford the $300 dollar price tag but doing a few gallons of syrup hardley justifies it. Garage sales here I come all summer till I find what I need.

220 maple
04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Bradley153
Hey you just discover how the little guy survives, by using someone elses junk before paying hundreds or thousands of dollars to purchase equipment. I use a 5 gallon stainless steel coffee urn. The kind that would be used at the Church picnic.

Mark 220 Maple

KenWP
04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
You can't dumpster dive here much everybody locks up there garbage cans to keep people from stealing their garbage. I thought I scrounged a lot. Has to be from being around a military base for to many years and all the new stuff they throw away.

nas
04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
220 maple - So that"s where the coffee maker went after the picnic this year:D
KenWP - Heaven forbid someone reuses something I threw out:rolleyes:

bradley153
04-09-2009, 11:55 AM

I have not bought much for all of the sugar that I have made over the past 10 years. Im prettymuch a tight wad and dont care if my neighbors or coworkers have the latest and greatest equipment! good for them I make just enought for my personal use (and give some away). I an lookin at making an arch for the next year boil. I have found some great plans that I can modify for my use.

BT