PDA

View Full Version : Digital thermometer

ebourassa
03-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Looking into purchasing digital thermometer to replace my dail and wondering what people thought of those before i buy one. any thoughts and ideas would be great
thanks
Erik

mountainvan
03-13-2009, 09:32 PM
I've been using the hanna for a couple years. I really like it better than the dial. Just get a couple aaa batteries in the saphouse for a quick change when boiling.

3rdgen.maple
03-13-2009, 11:18 PM
I loved my digital thermometer notice that I sayed loved not love. Mine was not able to take a drink in syrup and survive. I used it to make sure I am at the correct temps. for the hydrometer. So back to the dial one it can survive the old syrup bath.

Fred Henderson
03-14-2009, 01:57 AM
I have one in place of the dial type in my evaporator. It has an auto off but that does not present a problem, just push the button again. It lets me know when I am getting close to syrup, then I use my hydrometer.

KenWP
03-14-2009, 07:53 AM
On one of the posts here it showed how to put the dial thermometer thru a peice of wood to suspend it in the sap as it boiled. I made me up a gizmo like that as I find it almost impossible to hold it steady by hand. I also have a way to use my sceintific thermometer the same way to check for boiling temp of water . One guestion has anybody ever used one of the lazer thermometers. We use one to get our milk mixture right at 170 degrees to make oyster stew and wondered how close they are for makeing syrup.