PDA

View Full Version : what makes trees bud?

markct
03-13-2009, 07:42 PM
i was just wondering what it is that makes the trees bud out, is it the daytime temps, or the less harsh frost, or just time? im starting to get worried since i have alot of red maples which they say bud early and so far have only made a bit over 10 gallons off 325 taps! i have too many reds and swamp maples to pull the taps on them and still be able to make much syrup, and i figured i would be making some commercial but i hoped to make more good stuff first. i have noticed a few trees already have what i guess are buds, but is it when the buds actualy open that it tastes funny?

220 maple
03-13-2009, 08:45 PM
markct,
I tap several reds each year they have budded early 8 out of the last ten years, I pull them off line and have done so all ready this year, they moved faster this year than ever before, a week and half back Tuesday night we had 5 above zero, low 20's on wendesday night, they swelled and opened by Tuesday of this week. We jumped into the 70's last Friday and Satuarday.
We finally had a eight hour freeze last night, even though the reds was swelling buds last weekend they did not send me any bud sap, why I do not know. The syrup I finished last night did not taste buddy. If you get tempertures of 17 or below it will kill the buds and basically reset the tree.
Good Luck! I hope they hold steady for you, but keep a eye on them.

Mark 220 Maple