PDA

View Full Version : Filter aid

The Maple Men
03-13-2009, 07:38 PM
i would like to drain my front pan to clean and reverse flow. i wasl thinking about useing the filter press for the syrup section my question is if i add filter aid would it be ok to add this back to the pan and keep boiling?or do i need filter aid if it is not syrup yet?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Some people drain their evaporator every time they boil and run the entire evaporator contents thru the press. If you run it thru the press correctly, it will be perfectly free of the DE and nitre both and a better quality product to put back in the evaporator to boil.

Squaredeal
03-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I drain my front pan every morning into my filter tank, change pans and use the pump to pump the sweet back into the pan. Filtering would be great, but it has to be hot for that. Definitely don't want to drain the pan when it is hot.
Of course it helps to have an extra pan for this method

MaplePancakeMan
03-29-2009, 09:50 AM
The sweet in the pan doesn't really have to be that hot because when its mixed all together to filter its not too thick. I've run the entire evaporator through the press at 60-70 degrees with little problems. Its slow but it works.