PDA

View Full Version : home made pans

ontario guy
12-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Ok next week i am picking up the stainless.

Well call me crazy but, i am going to make my own pans...
I am not sure why but i am going to give it a try.

i have a two foot bending break and shear at work so i can make all the pieces myself for the ends and front pan.

i am going to solder the pans...i made a small 8 inch by 8 inch test pan and boiled water in it for around 5 hours on one of those propane outdoor cookers (50000 btu) and it held up fine.

I was thinking of making just one six foot pan and have two deviders in the back and one front devider.... it is less work but will i regret not being able to take off the front pan for cleaning.

i am not sure what to do about a preheater yet i might make a 10 gallon tank and mount it on top of the back pan.

Any suggestions before i start?

i will try and send pictures of my progress.

mapleman3
12-01-2004, 08:42 AM
Go for it.. why not give it a try? if it works, you'll be trying bigger things next and buying a welder! maybe good side work for you :D
Good luck, hope alll works out well for you, keep us posted :wink:

Al
12-01-2004, 08:43 AM
No recommendations here. I say go for it and good luck. :D
Please do keep us posted.
Thanks.

sugaring42long
12-01-2004, 10:46 PM
I bet you will do fine. Just be sure to reinforce the corners of the pan by having an overlap figured into your plans before you cut. Or it may be easier to bend up some 90 degree angles out of the same metal as your pan. I would use some sort of rivet and then solder over it also.

dads hobby
03-14-2005, 06:24 AM
Just wondering how you made out whith your pans? I am considering making some for next seson. I have made my new evaporator and bought a 3x3x6" pan witch i will yous for my font pan and woukd like to make either a2x5 or maybe 2 2and a half by 2 for the back.

How did the break work for bending?

ontario guy
11-04-2005, 06:11 AM
i cheated a bit and had the main pan made 2 by 5. But i wanted to still do some soldering so i soldered the divider 1 foot from the end and the two draw offs. it is about the right ratio. 4 foot back 1 foot front.

mark