PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in New Brunswick

murferd
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Have had taps in since Saturday, just waiting for the weather to straighten out. If that evers happens! It didn't last year!

Murray

KenWP
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes good weather would make my day also. Got 8 liters of sap from 73 taps.

Nemo5
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Hello Murferd, I am also in New Brunswick. I was thinking about putting my taps in Monday or Tuesday after work. Environment Canada is calling for a low of -14 Tuesday nite and Hi of +7 Wednesday. Weather channel calling for -6 Tuesday nite and +4 Wednesday. Weather network calling for -12 Tuesday nite and +6 Wednesday. It looks as if it will cool down a bit for the following days. Still have at least 3ft of snow here. I am very anxious to get going and try out my new set-up so maybe I am jumping the gun a bit. What is your opinion. Do you think there should be a bit of a run on Wednesday. I was thinking that if we had a good amount of sap Wednesday it would be a good test run for me to get familiar with the new set-up before a steady run happens. Or maybe I should wait a little longer. I am going to be using 5/16 health spiles with buckets. What is your opinion.

Nemo5
03-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I put 40 taps in today and will put 10 more in tomorrow after work. The temperature was hovering around 0c so it was a nice day to be in the bush. Environment Canada calling for +8 wed and thur so hope to see some sap.

murferd
03-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Hopefully the temp will be ok for tues,wed & thur. Yesterday & today was close to running but not quite.Good Luck!

KenWP
03-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Just started over here today. I had a couple trees actually do something.

Nemo5
03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Collected about 20 liters today. Was hoping for better but will take that.

Nemo5
04-02-2009, 04:04 AM
Collected 220 liters yesterday, the most I got so far this year. I buried it in the snow as I won't get a chance to boil til I am done work Friday.

murferd
04-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Finished our last batch on Saturday the 18th.Ended up with 125 imp gals of great syrup. Better than last year but still under our average of 145, we're quite pleased though.The weather was strange again this year, barely any frost at night then not very warm the next day. Just typical of anything to do with farming, always dependant on the weather & always whining about it. Looking forward to getting a new bottler & hopefully building a steamaway for next year.

KenWP
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM
That is what out weather was like also. Just below 32 degrees and then never warmed up much the next day. Or we would get a good frost and a cold day.