PDA

View Full Version : New Sugar Shack

tessiersfarm
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I am looking to next year and considering a new sugar shack. I am a construction supervisor so construction details come easily to me. What I am looking for are some sugestions and or advice on what you did that worked well and or what you would change about your sugar shack. It is highly unlikely I will ever be more than a hobbiest, and I am on a budget, so please keep that in mind. I am currently running a 2x6 evaporator with a steam hood and I am not likely to go any bigger, at least in the current location. I have a large equipment shed where I store firewood on pallets that I move with my tractor, so firewood storage is a non issue.

Thanks!

colt454
03-12-2009, 07:40 PM
I think the best thing we did is put in a working bathroom/urnial and hot waterby the arch for cleaning

Revi
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Your dad might still have the book of sugar shack plans that he used to build our sugarhouse. I would make it a bit wider than ours, because you want to be able to get around the evaporator.

I didn't think so at the time, but the bigger is better if you can do it.

Ours had to be moved, so it couldn't be any wider without special permits.

I saw Jeremy about a week before we had the slab poured and he asked if we had a drain in the floor. That has turned out to be a great thing to have, so I can see the value of asking around before you build.

WebbyMaple
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
tessiersfarm, I am in the same boat as you, I am also looking into building a sugarhouse next year. I have a 2x4 flat pan and am wondering on upgrading to a 2x6 but probably will never go bigger than that.

tapper
03-13-2009, 07:18 AM
I had a 2 x 6 for 10 years in a 10 x 16 sugar house. I did what I could afford at the time. It took 10 years but eventually outgrew both.

Its ok to start small but design and place your new sugar shack so it can be easily added onto.

Building costs never get cheaper so build as big with as many conveniences as you can afford to start with.

Things I wont do without are 1st electricity then running water. Size also matters. Dont cramp yourself. The 2x6 in a 10x16 shed was cramped.

Concrete floor with a drain and masonry walls up 4' high are also a big plus. I spill sap and syrup all the time and it molds if left there. Being able to hose everything down at the end of the day makes a huge difference.

If you are using steam hoods dont bother with a cupola unless you want that affect. Run steam stacks thru the roof its easier and less dripping on the evaporator.

Mike
03-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Like they said,make it as big as you can....If you out grow the 2x6 you'll be ready....If I was to build again i'd make sure I had enough head room for my feed tank......I have a 12x23 with a 12x12 on both ends..I started with a 2x6..But we manage..Have enough lights and plug ins....Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
03-14-2009, 06:22 AM
Hit send to quick....I now have a 3x10 in the SH..

Brad W Wi
03-14-2009, 07:22 AM
I poured a 24x40 slab for my 2x8. A 16x16 room up front with wood heat, for relaxing in. A over hang along one side of 4', for wood storage. Along the 16x16 room it is also a over hang, 8x16 to park what ever in. 4' porch up front, and a 20x20 room to boil in. I thought long and hard about it before I built and got lots of ideas from people on here.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-14-2009, 09:07 AM
I agree, build about 3 times a big as you think you need it. Sure comes in handy for tank storage, tractor, atv, etc. I have a 2x8 evaporator sitting right in the middle of a 24x48 sugrarhouse and it is just the right size and I have room to expand if I ever wanted to upgrade to a bigger evaporator.

Actually, my roof line on the sugarhouse is 58' as I have an extension on the end of the building which is 8' and it makes a very nice 8' x 24' woodshed.

WebbyMaple
03-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Brad W Wi, could you send me a few pics of your sugar house? ty