PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles? will it boil faster?

Newyork01
03-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I herd some rumors if you somehow add bubbles to the same in ur flu pan. it will somehow speed up the process of boiling. if ture has anyone rig up a unit and had it come through and work great. lmk id like to try smoething out..?

PerryW
03-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Sounds like your talking about the Steamaway process.

They add another pan above your flue pan and inject air through the sap. It supposedly increases your boiling by 60% and take no additional wood.

Bucket Head
03-12-2009, 09:53 PM
There is also a device called an air injector, better known as a bubbler.

Using a bunch of small diameter tubes that go in your flues, air is blown into the flue pan increasing your boil rate. The air bubbles help create a "boil" so more steam is carried off.

If you have a rigorous boil throughout your pan now you probably don't need one. If your boiling trails off towards the back of your flue pan a bubbler would help you out a little bit.

I'm thinking of building one for my pan since I don't have a strong boil at the rear.

Steve

Newyork01
03-13-2009, 11:40 AM
well i was also thinking about building something. anyidea. i was thinkin nothin more than some small diemter pipe with holes runnin with about 5-10 pounds of air running to it form a small compresser. but than again. any home copresser is goin to have a little oil in the air and i dont want that in the sap. Maybe a air dryer? anyideas id like to try something new

KenWP
03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Use a Oilless compresser.

Bucket Head
03-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't know anything about oilless compressors. What lubricates them? It sounds like an interesting idea.

What p.s.i. would you use? The bubblers I've seen have a high pressure blower on them, not a compressor. Its more of a high volume instead of pressure. I don't think the compressor would have to be set very high for a bubbler.

Anyone here with a home made bubbler? Whats your air source?

I do remember a guy telling me he used a shop-vac blower for his homemade one.

Steve

KenWP
03-13-2009, 10:45 PM
The one problemw would be that most oiless compressors are pretty low volume out put. I wore out 4 of them last year running little air rams. Course they were being used in a very dirty high acid enviroment and in the open in clean air they would work a little better.