PDA

View Full Version : Mini gravity networks

Russ
11-30-2004, 09:37 PM
OK, here's another concept to discuss. We don't have all of our taps on the vacuum system; inevitably there are pockets of maples that should be tapped but cannot be economically added to the pipeline. However, there is no bigger time waster than running from tree to tree collecting 2-3 quarts from each tree into a 5 gallon pail or jug, then transferring the sap into a gathering tank. To solve this, we put up what we call bag networks.

Basically using the same supplies from the vacuum system, we'll string a taut lateral at a downhill angle (either naturally or manmade) among 4-6 trees. The downhill tree is usually along side the logging road/ATV trail. On the bottom tree, we use a standard metal spile and hang a holder and bag, and put a drain line off the lateral into the bag. Voila'!! Bags are almost always full (sometimes running over) every day. We plan on pulling a gathering tank trailer with the ATV and drive from bag to bag to collect. In essence, we're collecting from 400-600 trees using 100 bags, right along the trails! Only on one day last year did we really need to collect twice in order to prevent massive sap loss.

Does anyone else do this? I noticed that when I was pulling taps (we use the smaller 5/16" Ecolo taps) there was a fair amount of sap still in the drop lines and laterals due to no venting; once I pulled a tap, the lateral drained quickly. Since we are not running vacuum on these networks, should we be cutting/drilling a small vent hole on the highest drop line to promote faster draining?

syrupmaker
11-30-2004, 09:50 PM
Russ....personally i would not vent the line. As it runs down grade the tubeing fills up and will create its own natural vacuum. Not even close to what you would pull with a pump but it is still vacuum. That is most likely what is helping you in filling the bags to capacity. We also have a couple small groups of nice trees that are out of the loop, same as you set up but into a 5 gal. bucket. It also outproduces single taps with buckets. I'm sure you will get different opinions on the venting of the line so HANG ON :wink:

Rick

Russ
11-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Would the amount of sap in such a short lateral really create a significant natural vacuum? That's the debate one of my brothers and I are having. I think having a clear lateral that won't freeze at night is more useful than the minor vacuum created. I welcome all comments.... Thanks.

syrupmaker
11-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Just my theory :idea: but if there is ice in the line it's still to cold for good sap flow anyway. :cry: By the time the sap starts to flow the ice slugs have or are darn close to being melted and shouldn't inhibit sap flow in anyway. :?: maybe i'm wrong (hang on i'll ask my wife) OOOHHHHHHH :roll:

Rick

brookledge
11-30-2004, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't vent it. Another reason is to keep air out. pipeline always runs a little longer than exposed taps
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
11-30-2004, 11:23 PM
post edited

mapleman3
12-01-2004, 06:17 AM
I tried both ways vented and unvented, not much of a difference, but the HUGE HUGE HUGE difference was the vacuum... I wouldn't do it any other way!! I have a small bush that I won't even tap this year cuz last year it ran for crap on gravity with grade and everything... will tap when I get small vac for that bush.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-01-2004, 06:55 AM
post edited

mapleman3
12-01-2004, 08:38 AM
yep it was quantity. had a few minor leaks(chew marks) got those fixed and whew lottsa sap !!

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-01-2004, 12:34 PM
post edited

mapleman3
12-01-2004, 01:12 PM
heres the thing.. it's just 125 taps at my sister in laws , a lot of reds.. I tubed it up, 3/4 mainline about 400' nice slope about 3-5% laterals are long with maybe 8 taps on each . it didn't run hardley last year, stays pretty cold, good amount of pines that need to be dropped but they are big and not my land of course... so I need to decide weather it's even worth it or pull it all out and use the stuff elsewhere.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Jim,

Might want to give it a try again this year with just gravity. Don't take much to tap it and very little time to collect it since it all runs into one tank. Last year was not a good year to gauge by--might be worth another try! :D

mapleman3
12-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Nope gonna wait a year... Like I was saying I may tap a better bush in the future too who knows. I should be good with what I am picking up in more good road sugars on my route.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-01-2004, 09:59 PM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
I would agree with Kevin there as you took all the time, money and labor to put up the tubing and use it only 1 year. Might be worth 2 or 3 hours labor to tap and repair lines. Even if you only get 500 gallons of sap, it is easy gathering and aprox 11 gallons of syrup. :D

mapleman3
12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
I can't really say I got 100 gallons of sap last year!.. so we shall see