PDA

View Full Version : sugar free maple syrup?

skillet
03-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Is it possible to make sugar free maple syrup, if so how would you do it??? Could you somehow extract (RO) the water from finished maple syrup(67% sugar the rest water?) and end up with maple flavored water.

thanks

skillet

ackerman75
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
As far as I know the sugar gives it sweetness and maple flavor, I would think the water would be nothing more than "water"

Brent
03-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Ask Aunt Jemima, she make truckloads that taste like maple syrup but don't have a drop of the real stuff in it.

Take her recipe, leave out the sugar or corn syrup and add a thickener and your favorite artificial sweetener.

Seriously, several people have tried to make maple syrup by vacuum evaporation and it was sweet but tasteless. A lot of the flavor comes from partial carmelizing of the sugars. The rest from other chemicals in the sap. So if you take out the sugar, you don't get the carmelizing and the whole maple flavor so you're back to the Aunt Jemima brew.

hard maple
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
maybe when they invent some weed that's THC free
or some cordwood that's BTU free

come on, people want the real deal!!!!!

KenWP
03-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Fenugrek seed makes artificial maple flavour. Sort of like makeing butter that taste like margirine to me.

ennismaple
03-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Is it possible to make sugar free maple syrup, if so how would you do it??? Could you somehow extract (RO) the water from finished maple syrup(67% sugar the rest water?) and end up with maple flavored water.

thanks

skillet

RO water has no flavour at all and I doubt there's a membrane that would stand up to running syrup through it. Maple syrup's characteristics come from the caramelization of the sugar as it is evaporated over heat. So no - you couldn't make sugar free syrup because the sugar is the flavour.

BC Birch Tapper
03-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Hardwood tree sap contains 2 to 3 different kinds of sugars with some micronutrients and water. When you evaoprate off the water you have the sugars & micronutrients left behind.
Are you inquiring on behaf of somebody for diabetic reasons?
The type of sugar, glucose, sucrose or fructose may play a role in such diets.

KenWP
03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Maple syrup is actually better for a person as it's absorbed slower then regular white sugar. The same with honey. With the two you do not get the sugar rush that white sugar gives you.

PerryW
03-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I believe that the Maple Flavor comes from the Browing Reaction (or Maillard Reaction).

If you extract the water from sap, you are left with clear, thick, sweet liquid that has no maple flavor.

Caramelization sometimes happens in Maple Syrup Prodiction, but it is something to avoid, since it is considered an Off-Flavor.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Sap does have a little different taste other than water and this taste is concentrated into syrup along with bacteria count and the carmelization of sugars during the high heat all contribute to the taste and flavor in my opinion.

stevepipkin
03-12-2009, 08:46 PM
sugar free maple syrup

Kind of an oxymoron isn't it?