PDA

View Full Version : Momma Dodd's Srapple

the old guy
03-11-2009, 06:46 AM
One Of The Guys Who Helps Do The Maple Syrup Fixed Some Scrapple In Our Sugar House Kitchen The Other Day. You Might Like To Try It Some Time. I Think The Recipe Originated In Pennsylvania--at Least That Is Where She Lived.

1 1/2 Lb. Bulk Sausage
1 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Sage
1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
In A Large Sauce Pan, Break Sausage Into Small Pieces. Add 4 Cups Water, Stirring To Separate Meat. (momma Dodd's Son Has Found It Easier To Add The Sausage To The 4 Cups Of Cold Water And Separate The Meat With His Hands...it Seems To Work Better.) Heat Mixture To Boiling; Reduce Heat And Simmer 20 Minutes. Drain, Reserving 3 Cups Of Stock. Add Salt And Sage To Stock, And Bring To Boiling. Combine Corn Meal And 1 Cup Cold Water. Gradually Add To Stock, Stirring Constantly. Cover And Cook Over Low Heat For 10 Minutes, Stirring Occasionally.
Add Sausage, Stir Well, And "pour" Into A 9.5" X 5" X 3" Loaf Pan (or Similar Size). Cool And, Chill Overnight.
Slice 1/4' To 1/2" Thick. Fry In Little Hot Fat Until Brown, Turning Once. Serve Hot With Warm "maple Syrup", If You Can Find Any!

Note: We Were Just Finishing Some Beautiful Really Dark Amber Syrup--it Really Went Well With The Scrapple.

The Old Guy

gator330
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
There are a few "Old World" butchers around here that make Scrapple. Never seen any of them put sausage in it? The word SCRAPple says it all. Cook the meat of the bone add some organs grind real fine add the broth corn meal and package it in a loaf. Cut off a slice fry it in a pan with eggs, bacon and some home fries and if you want to make it tast real good cover it with Maple syrup!!!!!! I like the sounds of that stove top version. May have to give it a try!!!!

slammer3364
03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I make scrapple every year. The trullygood scrapple is made from the juice , after you make the liverwurst, it is tru if a sausage breaks while you are cooking it it is richer,I have the juice and flavor with salt, pepper and allspice ,bring to boil and add some corn-meal bring to a boill again and keep dumping Buckwheat flour in until it gets real thick then dump into bread pans let set overnite and it will dump rite out of pan,It is delicious fried up with maple- syrup. I froze some juice and made scrapple last week just to have fresh syrup on it. Any questions just get a hold of me

slammer3364
03-18-2009, 12:07 AM
This is not made from Maple Syrup but we have been feasting on it while boiling. We have a wild onion here in Pa. known as a leek. We make a leek dip with Philly cream cheese sugar vinigar mayo and leeks. Really enjoy feasting on this while boiling with Triscuts