PDA

View Full Version : Boiling point?

Bucket Head
03-09-2009, 10:00 PM
We've been talking boiling points here. I know syrup is made at seven degrees over the boiling point of water. Generally, water boils here at 210 or so. Thats two degrees less than the standard 212, at sea level.

So, when your drawing off, do you go to 217? Or do you subtract that two degrees of difference and go to 215?

Where's a good science or math teacher when you need one?

There are a couple of serious bets wagered here on this answer. Its a hot topic here, no pun intended.

Let me know what you think on this one, and hopefully the answer won't lead to fisticuffs!

Steve

KenWP
03-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Would boil at 217 if water boils at 210.

BarrelBoiler
03-09-2009, 10:23 PM
7degrees over boiling is 7 degrees over boiling whereever boiling is on the day you check which when i am finishing off i check because that point can change with the weather

happy boiling

Big maple
03-09-2009, 10:26 PM
In theory your draw off temp. would be 217, If indeed the boiling point of water is 210, but I am lead to believe that barometric pressure can vary the actual boiling point two to three degrease so if that is fact your boiling point will change not only from day to day, but hour to hour thus my conclusion being that there is no set boiling point but a small temperature range where one will actually make syrup
No really when you are using an auto draw off the temp where you make syrup changes alittle and as far as I can see it changes with the barometric pressure. You have to check it with a hydrometer still.

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Boiling point of water changes with barometric pressure so it might boil one time at 209 or 210 or 211 for example. This is why the thermometers installed on the evaporators have an adjustable screw on the back of them. Suppose to calibrate them to zero when water boils and drawoff at 7 above. So I guess no matter where you are if your boiling point is 210 or whatever you will have syrup at 7 above that. Add the seven don't subtract anything.