PDA

View Full Version : problem with leveling pans

dano2840
03-09-2009, 10:42 AM
i set up my evaporator and the arch is level, the syrup pan is also level, ive got a 3x8 drop flue 4ft and 4ft pans, my flue pan isnt level though, its a 1/4 high in the back on the left side and 1/2 high in the back on the right, there is a little lip that comes off the stack collar in the back that the flue pan has to sit on, the pans cant be slid forward any more to get off it, so i think thats whats causing the flue pan to be unlevel, but my question is can i shim the flue pan? but if i did that and i was running 1" in the flue pan i would be running an 1 1/2 in the syrup pan. there is a gap between the pands on the bottom but the pans touch at the top, idk maybe if i take my syrup pan off tonight maybe it will alow the flue pan to slide up a bit and solve that problem but it might not any ideas?

Mark-NH
03-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Dan,

Buy a roll of the insulation designed to sit between pans and arch rail. Run it all the way under both pans except where you have those tabs. You can add or subtract a little with the insulation to get where you need to be.

Also, I think you were having trouble figuring out your float box. I ran a Leader dropped flue like yours and can probably help you to figure it out if needed.

Grade "A"
03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Your top arch rails may have a sag in them. I think Mark has a good idea with the rail gasket, they are thick so you can trim them to level things up.

Amber Gold
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
My rails are bowed and had a thread about it a month ago. My flue pan sits level, even with the rails bowed, and the syrup pan had about a 1/4" drop front to back. I used washers to shim my syrup pan and got it dead on and layed my rail gasket over it. I used woven rail gasket, but wishing I used the batt type instead. I can see some gaps between the rail and syrup pan, and the portion of the flue pan that rids over the bow. The batt insulation would've filled that in better.

dano2840
03-10-2009, 08:05 AM
ok thanks, i will boil tonight the way it is and then i think my uncle has some rail gasket that should work, it might be because i dont have the middle legs in, they arent in because on of the pieces where the legs go into has a little lip from the castin gprocess and we interchanged every leg into that piece and none of them wanted to fit i dont know how the previous owner had it in there, i might have to cut alittle off that leg i dont know, that could be my problem right there, i got the hi lift jack from the farm last night going to fix it tomarrow maybe tonight, i got a few friends coming over, (boss, nieghbor, etc) and i told them i would be boiling, so i will probably do it tomarrow and just run it a little deep in the syrup pan tonight, maybe i will shim the flue pan idk i will tell ya' tomarrow

peacemaker
03-10-2009, 08:38 AM
dan u cant adjust the space betweeen the pans to let it fall in the lip my arch has the same old style and thats what i had to do i set my flue pan then my syrup and its all good i used the woven gasket there was a little space till i fill the pans then they saet perfect for me