PDA

View Full Version : vermiculite needed?

Mark-NH
03-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Boiled on a drop flue for the last 18 years but replaced it with a 3 x 8 raised flue this year. Boiled for the first time yesterday. The boil in the flue pan did not "role" like I expected. It might be just a case of getting used to a new set up or it could be that I set it up wrong. If not wrong, maybe not the most efficient it could be.

I angled one baffle at the front of the flue pan that followed the same angle as the back of the fire box. This comes up to the rails on the arch about 8" back from the front of the flue pan. Installed another baffle at the same angle that reaches the rails about 8" in front of the stack base. I blanketed and bricked everything but did not fill the void between the baffles with vermiculite.

Should I have filled this area in the arch so the fire has to stay up in the flue pan or is it OK to leave this area open so the flames go up over the first baffle then down into the arch and back up over the second baffle and then down into the arch and up the stack?

Is this one of those either or areas or is there a definitive way to do this. Thanks in advance.