PDA

View Full Version : New Custom Built Ss Pan??

PARKER MAPLE
03-08-2009, 07:29 PM
Hey Guys Im New To This Site, I Jus Had A New Ss Pan Made Up And Did My First Boil On It Today. It Worked Great. Its 2ft W By 4ft L. Firing It Off Of Two Outdoor Double Burner Stoves(propain). But As I Got Done, And Did My Final Cook, Got My Final Product Strained I Can Tast Something In The Syrup. I Dont Know What This Is. Know My Question Too You Is, When You Have A New Pan Do You Have To Season The Pan. Or Do You Dissgaurd The First Batch, What Is Your Oppinion?? Thanks For The Help..

zippy1wood
03-08-2009, 08:51 PM
maple rookie what is it you think you taste? If you cleaned pan before
boiling say with white viniger,or somthing mild and rinse well should be fine
real syrup taste way different than the fake stuff maybe you could take it to another syrup producer and have them taste and check it over good luck dont give up

Bucket Head
03-08-2009, 09:41 PM
What are you using to collect and store the sap in?

Off odors and flavors can be picked up by the sap.

If they are not new, what originally came in your buckets, barrels, tanks, etc.?

Steve

3rdgen.maple
03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Maple rookie My mom is our tatse tester, well that is what she tells us anyways. I can already tell you what she will say the first syrup of 2020 tastes like, Steel pans. I can never taste it but she claims it is there. We always do a water boil at the begining of the season. Ever since we started this she says it is not so bad as the old days. Another year we went a week without cleaning the sap filter and it made that whole holding tank of sap taste like &%$@. Clean the equipment good prior to season when you feel you have rinsed everything good rinse it again. Keep the sap filter clean and if you are storing sap for a boil make sure it is not picking up an off flavor from any containers you use, Don't overstore sap for long periods. Hope this helps

PARKER MAPLE
03-09-2009, 05:39 AM
My Sap Storage Is A Blue Plasis 55 Gallon Barrel, That Was Previously Being Used As A Water Tank. Im Using Galv Sap Buckets Wick Were My Grand Fathers. I Washed Them With Hot Water, And Very Little Soap. And As Far As The Pan Goes, I Boiled Hot Water In It Before , And Just Scrubbed It With A Sponge. All This Before My First Boil. Maybe Your Right I Just Have To Have A Second Oppion. Im Going Today To Get One.

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Maple Rookie Stop letting your dogs pee on those maple trees LOL. I bet your syrup taste great let us know what the second opinion says.

PARKER MAPLE
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Well I Guess The Proof Is In The Tast Tests. Everybody That Tried It Loved In. I Guess Its Like Nything,its Going To Take Alot Of Practice To Prefect. Thanks For All Of Your Suggestions...ps I Will Try To Keep My Dogs Off The Tree..ha Ha Ha..

PARKER MAPLE
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Next Questions, Will It Tast Better Or Will It Not Make A Difference If I Dont Drain The Pan Every Time Im Shutting Down?

3rdgen.maple
03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I Don't think it will taste any different if you drain the pan or not. I boiled down 125 gallons 2 days ago which is just enough to sugar my pans and it has been sitting there for 2 days waiting for more sap to boil. The only time I drain my pans are for a cleanup.

PARKER MAPLE
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM
So I Deffinatly Taste A Metalic Taste In My Finished Product. I Talk To Some Producers And They Told Me Its Because Of The New Pan. They Also Told Me To Boil Water In Pan And Add A Little Baking Soda. Anyody Heard Of This Before???

Oaknut
03-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Yup. Directions that just came with my new Leader evap. say to add 1 lb. baking soda to every 200 gal. h2o, boil for half hour and drain. Then rinse well with straight water. Then add sap and start the sugar season.

3rdgen.maple
03-11-2009, 01:04 AM
I second that Oaknut

PARKER MAPLE
03-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Ok Thanks Im Going To Give It A Try..

barkeatr
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I HAVE had bad flavor my first year by using way too much defoamer. I read the directions after and saw that you just use a drop..

barkeater

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-12-2009, 07:26 PM
And don't use the same defoamer the next year unless you are freezing or refrigerating it as it can go bad by sitting out. I bought a 32 ounce bottle of the Atmos Kosher a couple of years ago and keep it in the freezer and thaw it out long enough to get out a couple of ounces each year. We probably haven't used an ounce the entire season this year.

KenWP
03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
I see here they also sell organic safflower oil for defoamer. What depth is good for a flat flue pan by the way.

PARKER MAPLE
03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
ok guys i have one more question for you..i am looking to make my 2x4 pollished s.s flat pan, into a raised flue pan. know what im wondering is, dose it make a difference if the s.s that i use for the flue is pollished or not??
and next would anybody please be so kind as to post some pictures of there raised flue pans???
so to recap. i would make my 2x4 into a raised flue pan, and make a new 2x2 front syrup pan, which would probably have particains in it also..
any help would be greatly appericated..thanks

WF MASON
03-26-2009, 06:50 PM
If the sides of your pan is 8" tall and you drop in 7" flues and you run 1/2" of sap over the flues with pleanty of defoamer , it might work.....or make the flues 2" or 3" deep depending on the heigth of the pan.
Make the flues first 4" shorter than your pan , then depending on the width they finish(width) at, cut out the hole and drop them in.

PARKER MAPLE
03-26-2009, 07:48 PM
2x4 Pan With 8in Side Height.. How Many Should I Put In?? And Will Regular S.s. Work?