PDA

View Full Version : Steam Hood Questions

BC Birch Tapper
03-08-2009, 05:32 PM
I've got a 2'x6' D & G drop flue evaporator & I'm planning on getting a steam hood manufactured.
The main reason is to better direct the steam into the cupola ( 2'x2').
It starts to drip quite a bit, once things get going in the sugar shack ,off the tin roof & it ususally ends up down the back of my neck.
I'm planning on having the hood sit 20 " or so above the pans for access. I do not plan for a preheather at this time

What type of material should I consider: SS, aluminum or other?

Should I put in a fan to assist?

Should it be several inches wider than the pans?

Should I include an inside rail to catch the condensation?

Does anyone know of any plans?

Any hints would be appreciated.

I'd consider trying to pick up a 2nd hand one but I live on the West coast.

Thanx

tuckermtn
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
check westvirginamaplers photos- he has a good collection of shots of his hood and pre-heater.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
As Eric stated, you are welcome to check out my photos. I like my hood as the flue pan is completely covered and use the steam to preheat which is what nearly everyone else does and the syrup pan part of the hood is suspended above the syrup pan enough to allow the syrup pan to be viewed.

I had an Amish to build my hood and it was somewhere between $ 400 and $ 500 and the frame which included the built in drip channel is 1" welded aluminum and everything else is stainless. The entire hood probably weighs about 70 lbs tops.

Haynes Forest Products
03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
BC Birch: You need the hood to be wider than the pans. I would go a foot all sides . Steam doesnt rise like hot air its heavey and if you will need the hood to go up to the 2x2 coupla I woulnt try and reduce and direct it to the coupla it will stall in the pipe and end up boiling out the sides.