PDA

View Full Version : sap stuck in tubes

NedL
03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm having an issue with the sap getting stuck in the tubes. I increased the slope a little on the tubes to see if that helps. I only have 3 - 5 taps on each run. 5/16th drops into 5/16th lateral into the buckets. Should this be a closed system or should I put little holes near the top of the run to help it flow better? Or will it flow better when the better runs happen?

Thanks,

Ned

ennismaple
03-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Don't vent them. When the sap flows it'll all get pushed out. Venting will cause the holes to dry out sooner. Search the site - this has been discussed at length.

NedL
03-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks Ennis. I had found those answers on the site. I just panicked. The next few days could be a very good run and I didn't want ot miss it. I'm sitting 30 miles away wondering what is happening in the tubes right now!

3% Solution
03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
NedL,
It's not running yet.
Some of my drops are full almost to the tap, it's just sitting there.
Get a bit of presseure in the tree and it'll run.
Just hang tight!!!
Hang on startint otmorrow!!! ;)

Dave

MapleChaser
03-08-2009, 07:28 AM
I'm having an issue with the sap getting stuck in the tubes. I increased the slope a little on the tubes to see if that helps. I only have 3 - 5 taps on each run. 5/16th drops into 5/16th lateral into the buckets. Should this be a closed system or should I put little holes near the top of the run to help it flow better? Or will it flow better when the better runs happen?

Thanks,

Ned

Good post we are having the same issue yesterday. Sap full to the tap.
It has taken me some convincing to tell the people Iam helping to close up the the lines with no venting. Every thing that you read on here is have a closed system. After reading this post I feel better about my choice, there is so much knowledge in here you can not begin to read it all in a book. MC