PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

WebbyMaple
03-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I have been starting to think about next year and wondering what I am going to do.

1. Should I stay with my 2x4 propane evaporator or go to wood(2x4/2x6)?
2. Should I construct a sugarhouse instead of using my open barn porch?
3. How big should the sugarhouse be? Woodshed?
4. Are there any special things that I will need to do to it?
5. I am thinking about adding a few taps next year, how big should i think about for an evap?
6. What could prices be for sugarhouse/evaporator?
7. What types of designs are there for sugarhouse?

fireBill
03-05-2009, 06:41 PM
I use a 2X6 wood fired evaporator for 120 taps, and I'm very happy with the set-up. I use a 200 gallon gravity feed tank, with supplemental storage in barrels. I like long boils, (minimum of 12 hours) so this works well.

I built a 16x20 sugar shack based on the University of Vermont extension service plans, which have been around a long time. The shack is bigger than I need, but I store quite a bit of wood inside. I also use the shack for deer hunting headquarters, etc... , so I also have a wood stove. I really like the way the cupola doors vent the steam/vapor.

I always figured that I needed around a 100 taps to make a 2X6 work well and justify the cost, but some might not agree with this.

I'm not sure where you are in NY, but you're welcome to visit anytime

WebbyMaple
03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Im in Cazenovia NY. somewhat near Syracuse. I do not boil everyday and was wondering if you think that maybe 80 taps could run a 2x6 about every other day. Also, could you send me a few pics of the inside/outside of your sugarhouse. Where did you get the plans for it again?

maple flats
03-05-2009, 07:55 PM
When I had a 2x6 the only hold up was getting enough sap for my first boil. Mine needed about 75 gal to sweeten the pans. After that you can boil smaller batches if you need to or want to. The sweetening of the pans was to get the sugar% high enough to keep the pans from freezing. WebbyMaple, I am in Oneida, you could stop sometime to see what I have and talk maple. Send me a PM if interested, I will give you my cell# and we can discuss a good time to catch me boiling.