PDA

View Full Version : sap bags

Justinmaple
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Does anyone have any experience with using bags vs. buckets? I'm thinking about getting a bunch of bags but don't know.
-Thanks

3rdgen.maple
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Never used bags before the kinda look like a pain in the @#& to me. I figure the cost of the hangers plus the the annual cost of the bags are not worth it to me. I can get 2 gallon used alluminum buckets for 3.50 to 3.75 apeice. One time fee. The only advantage I could see is not cleaning of the bags just throw them out and replace each season. That might make it worth while too some people I guess but not me. If you go that route let us know how they work.

ryan marquette
03-05-2009, 05:29 AM
I run some bags, pails & tubing. I normally start tapping with pails. I don't like to put the bags out too soon because some of the bags do get leaks in them. The bags are harder to get the ice out of. I think I can gather the bags faster. Its very nice to not have to wash them.

Stickey
03-05-2009, 05:31 AM
I prefer the buckets, I guess its just the Traditional look of them. Some city slicker might think the tree's are sick, with IV bags hanging on them.

03weim
03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
I use both the buckets do look better but its easier to see how much sap is in the bag with out trampling over the snow bank maybee its just me being lazy

bison1973
03-05-2009, 08:28 AM
I like the bags. Like it was already said you don't have to walk to each one to see if it needs to be emptied (unlike the buckets). I also like that there's no washing at the end of the season. Plus they keep rain and snow out vs. buckets without covers.

johnallin
03-05-2009, 09:42 AM
I use bags, although only have 35 taps at present, they are easy to empty, easy to check from a distance, and if one gets a leak just patch with some gool ole duct tape. Ice can be a pain but not enough to warrant a change.

The holders are still cheaper than buckets and bags in bulk are about .20 ea.
You can store 24 holders in a box about 14" square - you can't do that with buckets. If you want to, you can wash and reuse for next season just turn inside out let them dry and pack em away.

Marky Syrup
03-05-2009, 11:09 AM
HI,

I am getting used 4-gallon rectangular pails (and regular 4 gal pails) at local doughnut and bread bakeries. FREE and Food Grade! Metal lids work great on them. I especially like the rectangular pails as they work as nice as the old metal tapered sap buckets!

Happy Syrup Season~

ryan marquette
03-05-2009, 06:31 PM
I put out a few pails today & I was reminded of the other positive for bags. They don't stick together like round 5 gallon plastic pails!!!!!!!!

WebbyMaple
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I have out 30 taps on bags. i buy used holders from a local retailer for about $3. I just bought 250 bags for about $0.05 a bag from anderson maple. I love not having to was and storage is also nice. They are very easy to collect from but ice is somewhat difficult to deal with especially when the whole bag freezes.

Jim Powell
03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I"ve gone back and forth, but bags are by far easier to use. On my largest trees with three taps I use a drop line to 5 gallon buckets, because when the run is on the bags are not big enough. This year I'll do about 50 bags and 15 buckets. You love the bags on clean up day!