PDA

View Full Version : Lets hear it!

Rick_Seebeck
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Anybody getting any sap? On Buckets or Vac? Too busy boiling to post;)

Tweegs
03-06-2009, 10:18 AM
As a rough guess I should have pulled about 75 gal on 100 taps yesterday, based on a check of a handful of buckets
Buckets, no vac.
First boil will be tomorrow. If the Gods are smiling, I should have near 200 gal.

Big maple
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
We are sitting on about 2100 gallons of sap and still running. It looks like we have to boil about noon tomarrow. The only problem is the other half of the team's wife had surgery today and he isn't going to be there. It looks like trouble So any one who feels likeloading wood is more than welcome to show up. I guess that's enough bellyaching I am so excited to really light a fire under this thing I can hardly stand it!

Rick_Seebeck
03-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Gathered about 1 gallon per bucket today. First boil tomorrow morning starting with a pancake breakfast for the kids and visitors. I test fired in the new sugar shack tonight. Working pretty good but kinda steamy. Cupola not venting as well as I would like. Oh well, people pay good money for a sauna!!

Lets hope for big sap this weekend!!!!!

kirkhedding
03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I picked up about 2 gallons per bag today. I have about 220 gallons now, so we'll start boiling in the morning. Hopefully to get another 150 gallons tomorrow.

Big maple
03-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Just turned the pumps off.It finally froze back up and just in time,Iwent down to fill the generator up and check everything and was thinking I would have to shut everything down at midnight but when I got to the releaser the first bit of slush was coming in and within five minutes we had no more sap. By the time we get started in the morning the tank should be full.

firetech
03-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I didn't check buckets today. I thought it was too warm. Boiled off yesterdays run of 250 gals. I've made 13 gals of syrup so far. It was a nice nite to work in the sugar house, Tshirt only, no bibs or sweat shirts . Oh well theres a farm auction across the road tomorrow,I'll check that out. Then go check the buckets. have a good day steam up your life!!!!!

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
03-07-2009, 08:27 PM
boiled off 200 gal on friday temp was 52 outside 88 inside 1.5% sap and making dark syrup

todat 150 gal much cooler today +36 and the sap has stopped flowing

RICH

dano2840
03-07-2009, 09:25 PM
got about 175 gal from the little bush in the tank, still tapping the big bush, 216 in in the big woods, just put the mains in the tank 5 hours ago, its been a little windy and we havent gotten a good freeze in afew days, but the sap is still running, not hard but steady, hope to boil for the first time on my new evaporator tomarrow, and for the first time in my new sugar house,

kirkhedding
03-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I don't know about anywhere else, but it sure did rain here a lot. Flash flood warnings and everything. But, we still made 5 gallons of Grade A light Amber. Rain outside, steam inside.

mark schaefer
03-08-2009, 08:26 AM
We tapped last Sunday. Sap started to run Thurs. afternoon and ran all night. Boiled 800 gal Fri. and Sat morning. 3.2% solution! Started season making dark amber...too warm!
I guess we get what we get. We'll see what happens this week. Hard to make nice syrup when it's 66 degrees outside at the beginning of the season!
Good luck Mich tappers be safe out there. Mark

kirkhedding
03-09-2009, 07:41 AM
No new sap yesterday, so I finished up what I had left from Saturday. The weather is looking good for the week coming up. Hopefully be boiling again on Thursday.

michiganfarmer
03-09-2009, 08:31 AM
I havent even tapped a tree yet. I spent the weekend streching high tensil wire, installing new mainline, and doing farm stuff. MY wife washed buckets. I am going to start taping tonight after work. I probably will tap all week each night after work, and be done by saturday evening.

Im almost afraid that I started to late, but I didnt have any money to buy tubing untill 2 weeks ago.

dano2840
03-09-2009, 10:53 AM
boiled for the first time last night on my new evaporator in my new sugar house, had about 150 gal, didnt get any where near syrup but it was AWSOME, i was very happy even if i was having to run 1 1/2 in the syrup pan because im having problems getting the flue pan level but it was great

Tweegs
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Boiled off 160 gal yesterday, rain and all.

Was going to boil again Wed. but it looks like we will have high winds and I'm on an outdoor block arch. Think I'll wait 'til Thurs.